View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Club car rev limiter

So had a few minutes today and decided to hook my meter up to the kill circuit running to the ignition coil just to see how it behaves. You could get a much better signal if what’s going on if you have an oscilloscope but was curious if my meter would see anything.

To my surprise it’s much simpler than I had expected. The kill wire to the ignition coil will read small amounts of AC voltage. The higher you rev the engine, the higher the voltage goes. I don’t know exactly when the rev limiter “kicks in” and cuts the signal because my cart doesn’t have one, but revving it relatively high it held around 6 volts AC. Lower RPM runs 2-3v and it increases as rpm increases.

How the rev limiter works is still simple. Once it reaches whatever voltage it seems cut off (relative to RPM) it grounds the wire, which collapses the field in the ignition coil and kills spark.

Attached a couple pictures to show what I saw :)

Thought it was interesting so thought I would share. If I get time I’ll hook my pico scope up to it for some better readings of the sine wave itself, but I think this demonstrates pretty well just using my multimeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1087134C-617E-41E2-BD49-5E9A5D692C44.jpg (259.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg F5CC5E35-3B3A-42AA-8984-890A52B1B094.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote