View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
steamcheng
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G14 engine woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
If that is one of the Harbor Freight compression testers, might as well throw it in the garbage (ask me how I know). Highly doubt engine would run at all at that compression level.
Caution duly noted! Wasn't HF, but might as well have been - I got it on Amazon for cheapo. However, I have hit and miss engines (antique farm engines) that have almost zero compression and will run on Coleman lamp fuel with a whole lot less spark than this machine has. Once I got the engine out, I could turn it over by hand very easily. Not much compression at all.

I'm just guessing this breather here isn't exactly a stock item:

We got the engine out without any real issues, other than the motor mounts were rotted and came apart as we hoisted the engine up. The mount tensioner was missing also, but other than that, it came out easily. When removing the starter/generator, I discovered the tensioner bracket was broken and had been for some time. I will make another out of some plate I have in the shop.

This looks like it could be the performance clutch with the white spring already installed. Anybody know by looking at it? This is my first golf cart and I'm learning as I go.

After partial disassembly, we used some NAPA spray degreaser and some elbow grease and cleaned things up a bit. Once most of the major gook was scrubbed off, we took the engine to the local carwash and power washed it to get it much more clean. Right now, I'm at a stop, waiting for the clutch puller bolt I ordered to arrive (should come today). I ordered new engine mounts from Vegas Carts and a complete rebuild kit from Blockbuster Carts. I expect both packages to arrive this week.

Measurements of the cylinder indicate it is just within tolerances for wear and taper. I don't think I'm going to do much about it other than hone the cylinder a bit so the new rings will seat. I didn't realize the cylinder was part of the crankcase and can't be removed for boring. I don't have enough clearance on my lathe (9" South Bend) or my milling machine to handle the whole assembly, so that's why it won't get bored and oversized this time. The rebuild kit contains new valves, so we'll lap them in and see if this gives us a few more years. Next time I'll look for another engine to swap out with or get a shop to bore my cylinder for me.
steamcheng is offline   Reply With Quote