View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 EZ-GO cranks but doesn't run [please help, about to give up]

SO here's my take based on your symptoms ... You have what seems to be good compression, spark, etc - but no fuel is being pumped, right? do this - pull the fuel line at the carb and crank it over, if you get a dribble or nothing, you've got one of two things - a bad fuel pump or a bad crank seal(s).

You set up a gravity feed and the bowl is getting gas? That only seconds the crank seal opinion ... So let's do a fast test to see if I'm correct.

Jack up the rear wheels (the test can cause sudden ignition and/or runaway, so be safe) and get a buddy and a can of carb cleaner, WD40, or if nothing else, starting fluid. Now, find where the crankshaft exits the rear of the motor (between the engine and clutch) - while a buddy turns it over (key on, press the pedal) spray some of the aforementioned at the spot where the crank exits the engine. Get a pop? maybe a little "oh GOD it's gonna start" sound? Then You my friend have a blown rear crank seal. If not, try the same procedure only this time spray it in the fan opening at the front of the motor (don't be shy) - Pop? That "gonna run"? Well now you know the front is shot.

The fuel pump runs off of crankcase pressure, which a blown seal will lower to the point where it will still pump fuel, but very VERY little of it - you should have a strong, healthy pulse if you pull the fuel line from the carb and turn it over. Crank seals affect crankcase pressure, but NOT compression, so it's possible to have perfect EVERYTHING but a blown crank seal will make that all worth nothing if you want the cart to actually run.

Try those tests and let us know what happens - provided GoTee's cable issue wasn't the problem.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote