View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: first step in DS conversion to lithium seems easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilson View Post
I'm a software guy, so I'm not that familiar with hardware. Does this BMS have disconnects on it? I thought that was the whole point of a BMS. Why would it not have some way to isolate a cell?
Those data sheets are over my head as well... Hopefully Sergio will chime in and enlighten all of us.

The purpose of a BMS is to control the total charge from a charger. A charger just "knows" to input an amount of charge to a battery/pack. The BMS takes that charge and distributes it to the # of cells within a battery/pack evenly, so as to keep from overcharging any cells within the battery/pack. This prolongs the life of all of the cells within a battery/pack.

Most BMSs I have seen, that are in the realms of DIY, also provide the ability to cutoff in the event of over charge as well as over discharge. However, they require a means to do so, i.e., relays or contactor.

Hopefully I said that in a way that makes sense. It is a very basic way of saying it, I'm sure the gurus will be able to better explain it as well as expand on it.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote