View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 01:20 AM   #271
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Talking through an ignition problem

As Trig already knows, I am trying to find simple ways to bench test certain components in the four stroke ignition system and we all know that the igniter is the biggest problem in testing. I have been working on a project with limited time over the last couple of weeks and feel that I am pretty close to achieving something. We all understand that the igniter can be wired up to the coil, battery etc, but the stumbling block is emulating the pulser, We can build a spinning wheel with an actual pulser driven by a small electric motor and I have proved this works fine, but most people are looking for a simple test without expensive or bulky equipment that most do not have access to. I have built a few electronic pulse generators both sine wave, square wave and half wave but cannot seem to get it right. I can get a single spark similar to some situations in the cart, but cannot seem to fire the igniter with a continuous regular output to the coil. I think one problem is duplicating the shape of the signal put out by the pulser, which I think i am close to with an AC 1/2 sine wave, but the igniter seems to be more reactive to the square wave. I think the reason for this may be the lapse of time is not long enough between pulses on the 1/2 sine wave and the rate of rise/fall of the ramp. What i think i need is a simple circuit or device to give a long delay between the pulses compared to the duration of the pulse.

I will figure this out but need better knowledge and time. Both things i dont have a lot of.

Electronics is a bit of a guessing game for me nowadays. I used to build stuff in my younger days, but circuit design is not my forte!

Maybe It is simple and i just cannot see it?

I am not giving up, i will carry on trying to learn more and applying what i learn to this project.

If anyone has any ideas, please chip in with suggestions.

If only we knew how the igniter interprets the signal from the pulser? does it need to see the delay between pulses? does it react to the rise or the fall of the pulse?

What I really need is someone with a scope and a pre MCI cart to get some real life readings from. Maybe also an MCI so we can understand the differences in these ignition systems.

I am pretty sure the earlier pre MCI is a DC TCI igniter, but not sure on the MCI.

Or maybe I am just thinking too hard and the answer is right there in front of me.

I have a few other ideas to try and will report back when I have achieved more.

What i really need now is to get an engine set up on a bench at work so I have something real to work with.

EDIT

All this may just be a waste of time considering new working igniters are getting harder to acquire. Maybe the recent post on Chinese DC GY6 adjustable bike igniters are the solution. Again I need a test engine to prove this actually could be the answer as they are cheap enough to fire the parts cannon rather than waste time testing OEM and Chinese EZGO ones.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote