View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Jekyll Island questions...

Well with Covid and all this stuff going around we finally did this trip last week and I will provide a bit of an update if anyone is planning on going over there. If you don't want to read much I would recommend going, haha.

First off my trip unfortunately got cut short a day wanting to get home before Isaias and that was going to be our run around and explore the island day. We were only there two nights and already had tickets to take kids to water park. The way that storm died out and stayed off the coast we should have stayed!

Anyway, the whole island is open for carts as everywhere was 25-35 mph roads and the traffic was not crazy so when we did leave the campground it was nice. If you stay at the campground its about 6-7 miles to the little town center and maybe another mile or two to the farthest tip of the island.

I cant answer if the hotels were golf cart friendly because we ended up taking our camper and staying at the campground on the north side of the island. I was looking to know if you would be able to charge a cart if we stayed at a hotel and even though I am not positive I would guess that you could as there were a handful of rentals we saw in parking lots at hotels. Only looked like one cart rental place there and our neighbor called and it was $125 a day to rent a cart, that's worse than Disney prices!

We were concerned about not having blinkers on our cart, we had all other safety equipment, and I assumed a hand signal would have been fine but no LEO's ever stopped us but I don't think we saw any while on cart. There are a few there patrolling the island and I assume unless you are acting like an idiot you wouldn't get messed with. Talked with one officer there and he was pretty laid back.

Overall the campground and island were a nice stay for as short as we were there. It was hotter than heck which is expected for the fist week of August and if your gonna camp there is no pool which would have been real nice, especially if you have a Pop-Up (which we do). Showers and restrooms were on par for what you expect at a state park. Right across the street you have about a mile cruise to a nice fishing pier and beach area which was nice and has a great view of the sunsets. Kids loved the water park on the island which was priced well and had plenty to do for a day, note that its only open during summer. There are a handful of historic sites, homes, museums, and other interesting buildings that we didn't get to check out due to leaving early.

My biggest tip if you camp out there is to bring groceries with you as there is only one market on the island and it didn't have a whole lot of choices and the prices were high even for the location. For instance your only choices for steak were ribeye's and filet's (I'm ok with that) but I doubt the ribeye's were even USDA choice, due to the lack of marbling and no USDA label, and the price was about $20/lb and then add in some ground beef and hot dogs that was about the extent of you meat selection. Produce selection was pretty slim too. It did have a decent deli meat selection and a little bar where you could get a beer while you were there. With our pop up its typically easier to get groceries at your location and if you do that just make sure to swing through Brunswick on the way in to grab them, its about 30 minutes away after you get to island.

All in all it was a good trip and I imagine we will make it back one day.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote