View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another Tesla thread...

Well there probably is more uncertainty in the residual value of the Tesla but the residual value is set at the lease origination. So it's the leasing company taking the hit if the value falls below the preset lease termination price. If you purchase the car then it's you (owner) taking the risk for it's value when you decide to sell.
It's my understanding that the factory was the leasing co. for the first Tesla leases and they were setting the residual value because there was no data on depreciation from ALG. So in effect they were guaranteeing the end of lease value --- essentially subventing. I understand they have stopped this so apparently there is enough data now to set "market" residual values.
Are other companies leasing Teslas other than the factory? (meaning it's captive finance arm).
So, if protecting yourself from an unforeseen residual value disaster is the primary concern then a lease is the only way to go because the value is set at lease origination with the leasing co. taking the risk. Problem is, as you know, if the guess at residual value is low compared to competing vehicles then the lease payments and total cost to you is relatively high. Unless they have changed the way leases work in the last few years.

edit: I see Tesla warranties the batteries for 8 years/unlimited mileage. So, unless you want to keep the car forever I wouldn't worry about failing batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote