View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another Tesla thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I don't think batteries will be an issue in that time frame. People worried about that when the Prius came out and apparently wasn't a problem for first or even second owners generally speaking.
Also as long as the lease term doesn't exceed the battery warranty, your covered.
I've leased several cars. Worked OK for me but it's not for everybody. Also some cars lease better than others. It's best when you catch a factory subventing the lease. Watch out for advertised leases that don't include mileage in the advert. Lot of them are for 10k annually. It's my understanding that the Tesla is thrilling to drive. I wouldn't want to be trapped in a situation where I couldn't drive it as much as I want.
Leasing is also a math exercise. Make sure you understand the true purchase price of the car and the residual value. Those two numbers with the lease term and lease rate determine the payments.

An opinion.
I fully understand the math exercise. From a finance perspective it makes more sense to purchase. The $7500 federal tax credit goes to the owner of the car. If you lease the leasing company gets the tax credit.

By leasing I'd essentially be paying for optionality. I figured my BGW brethren would have some opinions on the value of that option.

I think there is a lot more uncertainty in the residual value of a Tesla than there is in an ICE vehicle.
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote