View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries or charger

I don't know if I know any more or not, but I do understand the dynamics of battery charging and battery chargers pretty well.

Since the charger is shutting off before the on-charge voltage is in the 44-46 volt range, either control board is bad, or the battery sense circuit is being lied to.
1. The voltage comparator on the control board could be triggering at too low of voltage.
2. The back-up timer on the control board could be timing out too soon. (Should be 16 hours)
3. Excessive resistance in the charging loop can report a falsely high voltage to the control board.

The first thing I would do is monitor the battery pack voltage at the control board.
Red wire that attaches to Heat-sink and black wire that connects to red wire in output cable is where to attach DVM leads.

If the voltage there does raise into the 44-46 volt range before charger shut off, clean all the connections in the charging loop.
The interconnecting cables between the batteries are probably okay or they would being getting hot during cart operation, but cleaning then certainly won't hurt.

If there is a fuse in one of the wires coming from the charging receptacle, make sure both ends are making good contact.
(In fact, the 30A diodes in the charger effectively protect the 60A fuse, so some cart owners have been known to forget to reinstall it. )

The charger senses B- via the Auxiliary contact in the output plug. It is the little springlike thingy that touches the outside of the negative terminal (Radsok) in the cart's charger receptacle. Clean both the Aux. contact and the outside of the negative Radsok.

If the pack voltage at the control board is the same as the pack voltage measured at the main B+ and B- poles on the battery pack, replace the control board.

Since the new batteries have probably never been fully charged, the first charge with a properly working charger will very likely take a very long time. Possibly 12 or more hours, so let the charger run until it shuts itself off, check electrolyte levels and then restart it.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote