View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Project: 1986 Cushman 3 Wheeled Turf Truckster

Again, my Truckster governor has been bypassed and is not working. Something a previous owner has done to it. I haven't tried to figure out what he did or how it works. Best I can offer is that manual supplement on www.sillylittlecars.com that I put there.

My Truckster has only run a few times in this past year because I had a right leg problem that kept me from walking from last year August to about April of this year. I'm still relearning how to walk again.

From what I've been told by others, that governor design is terrible and they told me that I was better off with it bypassed. I just have to
be careful not to over rev it. Does your Turf Truckster have a tachometer? Keep it below 3600 and you should have no problems.

The weakest part of these engines is the cylinders. The aluminum spark plug holes go bad easily and overheating the engine causes the exhaust valves to break. Those bellows assemblies in the ducting under both sides of the engine are likely bad from age. When they fail, they don't open the air flow dampers to allow the fan in the flywheel to cool the cylinders. Keep all of the cylinder and crankcase fins clean of debris and remove those bellows assemblies, then open the dampers and drill and thread a bolt hole in the engine front casting right next to the damper doors. Insert a large head bolt so the head of the bolt holds the damper open. This way, if the temperature control bellows are ever found, you can put them and the dampers back in service. About all they do when working properly is provide more cab heat, but with no cab, you don't need them or the cab heat system. The finned exhaust lines aren't needed either. You can still buy new cylinders with valves installed, but the last price that I saw was $150 each plus shipping. The exhaust valves are original and not stainless. In fact, both valves are the same size too, so the cylinder will fit and work fine on either side of the engine. When I needed new exhaust valves, I went with new stainless valves in the exhaust positions, so they will last longer. This isn't necessary if the engine hasn't been overheated, but a good idea if you have valve problems from overheating. Mine came from url]www.denniscarpentercushman.com[/url], mostly because their place is only 15 miles from me and just North of the Charlotte Motor Speedway. They will tell you that they only have parts for Cushman Scooters, but there was a one cylinder version of the OMC motors. It just had a cover over the crankcase opening for the second cylinder. So all of the rest of the one cylinder OMC motor is the same as the 2 cylinder version and it's an 11 hp. Same distributor/timer, but one coil and a higher ohm resistor to keep the one coil voltage correct. One of the Cushman scooter models used this engine. BTW, the starter is the same as used in many 2 cylinder motors. The Miller Bobcat truck mounted gasoline welders use the same starter.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote