View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Default Re: Storing my electric cart for winter ??

that or a small engine blanket wrapped around the batteries would keep them warm. It's an electric blanket made to keep the engine block and fluids warm on cars/trucks/diesels. You could improvise I'm sure. I know people that just put a strand of Christmas lights (the big bulbs) on their plants and put a blanket over the top to help hold the warmth in, so you could do something similar in the cart by putting a set of lights, or a regular lightbulb in a droplight housing placed in the battery compartment, and just leave it on. It may or may not be enough to keep the batteries warm since the compartment since there is so much ventilation around the batteries.

We used to have a small "trickle" charger (like 1 or 2 amps or something) that we used to maintain charge on our generators, atv's, etc. when not in use, so as phasetim mentioned, you should be able to find one that will monitor and keep the batteries charged. It will not overcharge because it will shut off and turn back on when necessary.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote