View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
roundtable2
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v solenoid refurbishment

Here we go 3rd solenoid, this one has heat damage(cracked case)
First job is to grind or drill rivets, on plastic side, tap out the 3 rivets, leave one
rivet attached it will allow you to rotate bottom plate away from body. 1st pic
Remove cork and metal spacer. 2nd pic
Carefully bend coil wires to upright position, pay attention to coil orientation to
solenoid case. Note:my coil resistance was about 59 ohms, you must have a good coil or this process is worthless, Use a soldering iron to separate coil wire from terminal wire, coil wire is much thinner than terminal wire so it wraps around straight terminal wire. 3rd pic
Next remove coil+plunger, then remove steel sleeve(labeled #1) by carefully using very small screwdriver and slide out of solenoid case, then remove contact
guide and contact with spring. 4th pic
I had a lot of carbon dust fall out of unit when I disassembled, Contact assy was pitted severely so I scraped,sanded, and cleaned, then used solder paste and soldered pits with 60/40 solder, then sanded flat and polished with scotchbrite pad, I used screwdriver to scrape terminal contacts and scotchbrite pad on end of screwdriver which are mounted in case. 5th pic
I cleaned everything with alcohol and lightly lubed with wd-40, reassembled
in reverse from disassembly, It really is not hard just need to be patient.
My case was fractured and used jb-weld to fix. 6th pic
Testing coil was 58.5 ohms, and had 0 ohms on contacts.(before disassembly contacts measured open when coil was energized)
Hope this helps someone, I can do this procedure in about 3 hours and its free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (93.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cork.jpg (64.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg unsoldered coil.jpg (61.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg soleoid 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg contact.jpg (67.7 KB, 0 views)
roundtable2 is offline   Reply With Quote