View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

To date I have $1,840.67 in this cart. I still need a heavy duty solenoid and forward/reverse switch, key switch, more metal for the frame, wood for the seat bottoms, filler for the fiberglass, paint, diamond plate for the floorboards, and batteries. Looks like I will probably be more at about $3,000 total for the project.

Last night a friend came over and we welded some new cross braces and front seat mounts onto the frame. I still have to weld in the new battery tray to handle the 8 6v batteries going in, the secondary frame rails ( I am using an old bed frame I found in the attic for this to cut costs), and some extra bracing for the front body and some additional metal to the main frame rails in back for stiffness. Then the areas with surface rust will be sanded and treated with a rust etching agent and POR -15 followed by dark grey sprayed on bed liner over the whole frame.

Had an excellent idea- I've been toying around with the idea of making the side pipes sound like a v8 is under the hood. I thought about maybe using an RC device from a company called RAM systems that makes RC electric planes, boats, and cars sound like they are gas powered. It would have been complicated to get it to work with the throttle position of the cart, but I found an awesome app for iPods and iPhones called "XLR8". It is free and uses the motion sensors in the device to "feel" acceleration and deceleration, and it makes a wicked race- bred v8 sound. It even makes tire squeal as you round corners. I tried it out in my car and it works great. So now I will build a little sound box that the pipes attach to, buy a cheapo old eq amp on eBay, and connect it to a secondary iPod just to run the motor noise.

For the stereo, I have a pair of Infiniti plate speakers, a JBL 10" subwoofer, and various amplifiers just sitting around. I only plan on my iPhone or iPad to be the music source, o I shouldn't have to spend anything additional for tunes. I even have a fairly new deep cycle marine battery laying around that I can charge up just for the 12v stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote