View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Cheaping out on batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
What cheap batteries can do is EOL a controller. Low voltage is bad. can melt stuff or release the magic smoke.

The RXVs/TXTs/electric cars that often roll in deader than a hammer and have let the magic smoke out are often using Rural King or some other cheap batteries. I don't recommend them to folks hoping to save money. They pay for it in the end either way. the rule is 'you get what you pay for'

I've seen Rural Kings either reverse polarity or are cased wrong where + is - and - is +. Controllers don't take kindly to that either.

On some of the resistor cars from the '70s that folks buy for their kid or to run in the ground a cheap set of batteries generally doesn't do much harm as there are no electronics to kill, but cheap batteries only give you at best 1-3 years of use vs. 6-8 years out of a decent set.
Monster, my intent here is not to jack your thread, but since this topic is here I would like to ask Nick a question.

What would cause a battery to reverse polarity like this? A friend called not long ago and asked me to look at his cart as one of the 4X12 batteries had suddenly reversed polarity. I thought surely he was using the meter wrong. But sure enough, one was reading reversed. They were marine, not golf cart batteries and were on the way out when this happened. I talked him in to replacing them with golf cart batteries and he is thrilled with the difference.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote