View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 2005 MCI 'spitting' after lift kit even with rebuilt engine

the plugs are FR2A-D NGK. I know it's not a carburetor or ignition coil issue since we've swapped many and nothing changes. Fuel is new, we already sucked out the old gas since it had gotten stale, the fuel lines are new, fuel pump pumps really good (line off the carb) and oil is at the correct level.

We've adjusted the valves according to the service manual. Double and triple checked the timing, and flywheel and pulsar coil. All is normal. The throttle plate is closing like it should when you stop, and opens correctly. Now this one does not have the redesigned throttle cable with the 'loop' at the end like the later MCIs, it still uses the old spring assembly from the Pre-MCI days. It's a 2005 so I'm guessing this was the first year for the MCI?

Unfortunately I've never had a 'spare' MCI ignitor and since it costs $1000, there's no way the customer much less the boss wants to spend that kind of money in order to rule it out. I'm sadly kinda stuck.

I've personally had bad experience with the MCI engines myself, Almost always one of the valves wears into the soft head and you adjust one that comes in with Mal-adjusted valves, or so you assume, and it runs 50 feet and then changes adjustment and stops running again, or the parts are super high price, and I always made a guess that EZGO hated the change so much they scrapped it in 2009 and went to the Kawasaki which I despise with every fibre of my being. The pre-MCIs are great little engines.

The rebuilt engines we just send the cores of the bad ones to a company known as BG Parts that rebuilds and subsequently tests them on a dyno before sending them back as verified running/ready to install.

The engine runs fine once it starts but if you stop and immediately take off, it hesitates a tiny bit going 'sp! sp!' and then takes off and runs perfectly fine. I've only seen this happen on MCIs on lifted golf cars, and assumed it was because the engine/governor has to go faster to pull the larger tires (you gain 2-3 MPH on lifted tires without changing the governor at all)

Also this one still uses the older square box air box, not the later round one.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote