View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
sharkbot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Have you upgraded a Caroche?

Hello,
Here are some updates. I have the cart stripped down. The new Plum Quick motor is in and I spent a bunch of time just learning the ins and outs of the cart. The guys at BuggiesUnlimited and Jake's helped set me up with all new electrics (500 AMP alltrax controller, HD solenoid, HD F&R switch, PB-6 to replace throttle, all wiring and resistors) and a front disc brake kit with new offset flat bell rims and tires. I also purchased new hub kits for the front tires to fit with the spindles from Jakes. In case you guys are wondering why I am putting this much effort into a 33 year old cart, it is a lot of fun :) and the Caroche frame is way more beefy than any other cart I have seen. Take a look at the pics, the Caroche frame is basically two long I-beams in a v pattern. I have these directly connected to a hitch so I can tow trailers around on the farm. The front brakes are required for me because I have a lot of hills and it is dangerous with just back brakes, plus the hub brakes on a Caroche are kind of a pain. I am keeping them operational...does anyone know how to adjust them? I really just want to use the parking brake but the pads rub against the hubs and I haven't been able to figure out how to bring them in a bit so the hub turns freely. Lastly, the other major area I plan to improve is the steering. The previous owner lifted the cart and custom welded arms on the spindles in order to connect with the stock steering tie rods. The steering was really sloppy and the cart turned like a bus, requiring many turns of the steering wheel to turn sharply. I plan to use the new spindles and get new tie rods. Hooking the tie rods closer to the king pin should result in more responsive steering, and getting new tie rods will also clean up some slop because the old ones had rusted and the ends had a lot of play. I will keep everyone posted as the new parts come in. Again, if you have experience with the brake shoes and how to adjust them, I would appreciate any info. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_11-10-32_864.jpg (192.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_14-44-51_711.jpg (153.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_11-10-59_256.jpg (164.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_14-45-00_460.jpg (162.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_14-45-21_944.jpg (164.7 KB, 0 views)
sharkbot is offline   Reply With Quote