View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
cramermy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifepo4 Pack Specificatons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If I remember right, the peak rating at 5C has a much longer runtime vs the 5 second peak rating at 10C. The pack capacity at the continuous 3C rating would be desired to accomodate your hill climb times, if any.

I would go with a chinese BMS board, and integrate it into your build. The member agpfl has found sources for programmable BMS boards that are relatively inexpensive. You would need one designed to work with a 16S pack. That way you can set your upper, lower, and charge limits. Otherwise you can buy a slightly lower cost ($35 - $40) preprogrammed BMS board that is already programmed with those settings for you. I went the preprogrammed route with my RXV, just shopped around until I found what I wanted. Since my Bandolero build is to be a much more sophisticated build, I chose a much more sophisticated BMS and charger with a control display that I will integrate into the dash of that vehicle.

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks again for the continued support/guidance for a newbie like myself. I have more questions... I hope you don't mind.

Do you think the BMS manufacturer could program in a "soft stop" for any failures? So that the controller has time to save the settings to memory, and also if the amps were limited or ramped down maybe this would avoid the brake lock-up issue? Would love a "limp" mode or something too so that the cart isn't stranded in an out of the way area. I've read where some other EV's and even outboard boat motors have a "limp" mode.

Any idea how much time the controller needs to write to memory?
How about running a DC to DC converter off the whole pack?

In some of the threads I see that guys are only using the lithium packs for traction and then have a separate 12v FLA or Lith battery for accessories. I'm only currently running my lights off 12V and don't have any immediate plans to add other accessories. When I bought my cart, it had the factory DC to DC converter wiring harness installed, but the converter is missing.

I was planning to buy the EZGO OEM converter (CONVERTER ONLY) #632185 which is available on the EZGO site for $150. Seems expensive compared to the aftermarket converters I see online but I believe it will use the existing harness which would be simple/clean.

thanks,
Myles
cramermy is offline   Reply With Quote