View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Default Re: Holy Cow Batman !!

Sorry about the site sponsor thing, not my intent to push non sponsors. I will ask and maybe they would like to become sponsors.

As I shopped around to PQ, D&D, etc motor folks I ran across Chuck at EMP Inc. I understood the principles of adding more voltage gives you speed and adding more amps give you torque. Being a retired USAF scientist, Chuck took the time to explain to me the 101 of electric motors. He explained, RPM, Peak RPM, Max recommended RPM, HP Ratings and more. He emailed me thousands of words and even some graphs. He then spend considerable time understanding my current cart configuration and my hopes for what I wanted to accomplish. He then married them and came up with 5 options for me to pick from listing expected MPH, Torque and thermal construction. I chose option 5 which has a different armature construction, with fewer conductors to help increase top speed but larger conductors and brush/commutator system to help handle higher currents. Max expected top speeds 29-32 MPH and a calculated max torque -- 60 foot pounds. As far as exact specs on this motor I will have to ask. I do remember 5500 RPMs mentioned.

93yellowclubcar - not sure about why your experience was different.

I can tell you the straight scoop and the 3 motors I have (Stock GE, PQ and EMP). I charged the cart and the next day tested on a flat road each motor within a few hour period. I have 2ga wires, HD Switch, 500 amp FSIP controller and a 5 inch lift with 23" tires (measure 22.5"). First I tested the stock motor. It ran good with decent torque and "got up" to 15 mph. Next the PQ had more torque (20%) and "winds up" to 22 MPH. The EMP had considerable more torque (70%) and "shoots up" to 32 mph.

IMHO - the PQ was the best bang for the buck of the motors. It worked with stock components. The EMP was easily the best performing but required better components like wires, HD switch and 500 amp controller hence more expensive option.

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote