View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Rear Axel question

'97-'99 CC DS 48 volt

I seem to remember a discussion a couple years ago regarding moving the rear end to a position BELOW the leaf spring. I am going to continue to search for the discussion, but if anyone remembers it, maybe they can explain how that worked out.
Second question; maybe a bit on the ignorant side.
I am planning on installing the rear end of my DS on another chassis that has a type of swing arm and coil springs. I assume I will have to weld a bracket onto the axle tube to mount it to the chassis. Does anyone have any tips in that regards. I haven't welded in 40 years and I just received a small mig welder as a present. Of course, I have no intention of attempting any welding until I practice a bit.....quite a bit. I figure that there has to be some folks on here that have done a lot of design modifications on golf carts. I am looking forward for some advice on how to safely mount the DS rear end on the other chassis. I'm keeping my DS rear end because I get good torque and speed from it and have no intention of junking it. The system I am replacing it with is an old rear with a disc braking on the motor that is mounted perpendicular to the axle and not horizontal like the DS. My DS has drum brakes. I am probably giving a lot more information than necessary.
My plan is to do another build. My wife is a bit tiffed about me dumping my old rat rod, which got a lot of comments and compliments. But, she is always that way until she sees the finished project.
Hope I have not totally confused anyone with my questions. I have been purposely vague about my plans because I don't want to give away the surprise yet. I have friends and family that peruse this site on occasion.

I am also doing research on lithium batteries, but that will be on another thread.
Thanks for all the help from you guys with the extensive experience. Between this and youtube, it's like having a library at home.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote