View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I finally got around to fixing the cart so that I could sit in it for the first time! As you can see, the old seat bottoms were a wreck. I wouldnt risk sitting on them.

The set covers we're well made and looked like they were nice about 10 years ago. Now they are stained, brittle, and have some rips. I plan to reupholster them in phase 2 of the build, but for now I'll just make new seat bottoms out of 1/2" plywood. I took the 600 or so staples out (that somebody put in using a freaking desktop stapler!) and tried to clean the covers off with mild soap and a brush. that didn't make much of a difference. you can see where someone left a pair of pliers to rust on the seat.

I cut out the plywood out and stapled the covers over the foam onto it. I then used a product called westleys blech white that I use on my whitewall tires to brighten them up, and man did that work. I also had a can of white vinyl spray dye, and used a couple of light coats to cover up the rust stain. Now they look quite presentable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote