View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
wendy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: No spark EZGO commander

After re-checking everything, I found a bad pin in the harness connector to the pulse coil. It had checked out fine earlier; maybe after un-plugging it and plugging it back together it just let go. Anyway, I replaced the connector with shielded male/female spade lugs and off we go. HOWEVER, it would only run maybe 5 minutes before stopping. It would start back up but stop significantly more quickly with each iteration. Yesterday, it gave up the ghost. Back to the barn. I checked any component I could and found nothing amiss. The coil still gives a nice fat spark when I strike a grounding wire across a ground. The pulse coil is putting out .6 volts it always has. No problem with solenoid or the microswitch in the accelerator pedal. Power is getting everywhere needed. I put in another ignition unit I had lying around, but no go.
So I tried an experiment. I put my volt meter, set on a/c, between the coil and the ignition module. 4 volts while cranking. Now I know this is not an absolute test, but it seems to me that I should get 12 volts or so, as the resistance in the primary coil is so low. I am guessing that the ground through the ignition module is faulty. Yay.
I have had this cart for quite a few years with no trouble whatsoever. Now I am ready to burn it. If I could afford a new one, I would be all over it but that is not in the cards. Any help is greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I read somewhere that the Chevy module needs 1.5 volts minimum to fire, which is probably why it would not work for me.
wendy is offline   Reply With Quote