View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
wendy
Not Yet Wild

Default No spark EZGO commander

I am at my wit’s end (not a long journey). I have a 2002 commander 2200se with a 350 engine and no spark. It appeared to be a bad coil as the secondary coil registered ‘open’. The primary coil registered ~ 3.5 ohms on the meter, as the manual specifications provide as correct. So far I have replaced the spark plugs, the pick-up coil, the ignition coil and the igniter and the micro switch in the pedal box. I have chased every connection in the related wiring harnesses and they all check out. (Incidentally, my parts manual calls for a 27746-GO1 igniter and many suppliers state it crosses to 72562-GO1 as well as several other part numbers. I am sure the unit is the same but the harness connector is not.I removed the connectors from the two units and installed the old connector on the new unit. Loads of fun.) The new coil gives the same value on the primary and a little more resistance on the secondary (17.5k ohms; the manual lists 10.8k to 14.6k as the acceptable range. I think the increase in resistance is due to checking at the end of the spark plug wires and not at the coil 'towers', as removing the plug wires I don't think is a good idea.). After I installed the new coil, no joy. I called the supplier and they sent out a replacement right away. I installed it and no joy. It gave the same resistance readings as the first new coil so I was not surprised. I tried the old test in which the primary is energized and the circuit then broken, as if I were opening and closing a set of points, which should produce a spark. Nope. I know there is no sure way to test an igniter module but I tried this anyway. I connected my test light between the + side of the primary and the supply wire. (The igniter creates the spark by interrupting the ground path via the unit, I assume). The test light flickered while cranking, telling me that the circuit is being interrupted as it should were it producing spark. Still nothing but shade tree testing is showing all components as good. Any suggestions out there? Another question: with the older cars that used points, the ignition coil primary and secondary were attached internally and a reading from the secondary terminal (tower) to a terminal on the primary wire terminal showed a connection, usually a value of ~ 10k ohms. Obviously these coils are wired differently? Is this something to do with using a CDI unit/pulse coil instead of points? (Yes I am an old fart)
wendy is offline   Reply With Quote