View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: My '87 is on jackstands now

When you worked on brakes I hope you used more than a cheap face mask as it allows asbestos into your lungs ( mesophelioma- lung cancer ) and that it was done out side so dust didnt stay in your shop-garage area? I have lost so many friends with lung cancer ( even 2 of my own retired shop mechanics ) in last 20 years even though I was aware of asbestos and required my shop people to take all protection possible? I was taught to wet down brakes with water from hand sprayer and then "wipe down" and "seal rags" away "in bags" for garbage. This keeps any dust from laying around to sneek into your families lungs later on. By blowing down you have spread the dust around that can later get into your families lungs ( small children are most likely to get cancer by exposure according to studies ) than adults?
SORRY ABOUT THE SERMON but I have seen too many people die the slow horrible death of LUNG CANCER and its not some thing I would want for anyone?? I am spending time in VA hospital and have 10 or more vets in near by beds with lung cancer and you dont forget the sound of the battle for every labored breath that they take?
If you had brakes torn down I also hope you cleaned and lubed ( brake lub only ) the backing plates and looked for grooves where shoes rest and filed them smooth?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote