View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutching/secondary question

The clutches on a cart are more like 70s sleds were. I found you can use those 2 Polaris clutches, but find nothing about setting them up as the problem lies in a lawn engine running way lower rpm than sleds. I have a 94c and its shifting at 4K-4200 with a cheater cam in a clone, I had to cut half the spring off and use slightly lighter pucks than stock cart would. But modern sled/atv clutches don't show much for weights/spring for lower rpm. They work better, this 94c is ancient design and only shifts good when your on the gas. I read you can use a clutch from a small Polaris atv and start with that, iirc they are 30mm taper, which you can adapt to 1" lawn engines everyone sells those for GC. Tuning the secondary is a pain its not very tunable other than springs and preload. I've read/seen Yamaha for example pulled a lot of stuff from early 70s sleds to make the G1, their first cart a 2 stroke. Well early 70s sleds were pretty ancient compared to today lol. Look up Yamaha GP sleds. Another common aftermarket clutch on GC is the comet 780, which is another ancient design the old Salisbury used on '70 sleds. It has the 3 arms and springs instead of the pucks, or single spring and weights like more modern clutches. But they work because a 70 sled has 40hp/etc and those clutches were made for that. I know 80s sleds were running 7-8K rpm shift by then, they engaged at 4K.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote