View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Custom Shifter Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mule View Post
Thanks CheesyI wanted a shifter like this but just couldn't justify the $200.00 bucks,I think I can come up with the few items to build one like yours

No prob.... Few other idea's I pondered where...

Shift Lever> 1"x 3/16" flat bar with a bolt end welded on top to accept shift knob, and painted black.

> 3/16"x 2-3" Aluminum with shaped in pistol grip with grinder.

> Threaded Rod with plastic line covering it, jam nut, then shift knob.

But I opted to go with the Daytona shifter, merely because I got it for next to nothing, and it looks awesome.

For the shifter cover, and boot I also considered getting a piece of body sheet metal from local store and bending it the same way. Or thought any box shaped item would work. By having an open bottom for mounting, and just cutting a slot lengthwise for the shifter to move back and forth. I even envisioned an empty 4l oil jug working for this application, as it is just a cover, and not a part of the structure what so ever. I'm sure you and others will have numerous other idea's as well though. Like I said, I just wanted to build a simple mechanical lever that anyone can do for next to nothing. Look forward to seeing yours, and others builds using this simple design!

Thanks again for the good words, and sharing my excitement for this simkple build.

Cheesy!
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote