View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Custom Shifter Build

I had a piece of aluminum kicking around that I cut to shape, but you could use anything really. The shifter boot could be replaced with a top with simple slot in it as well. But I will make mention of alternative idea's, and thoughts after build thread is complete.

Cut alum. to approx. length (giving a little extra), and width. I went with a 5" height, and found it covered everything nicely. Be sure to ad at least 1/2 inch to allow for top bend. To find the total length, I simply put the stainless boot cover on edge, and rolled it end for end, marking the very corner. I did this, as I was unsure how much material would be used for bends. Mark out where bends and cuts will be. Note the 45degree cuts for the top flange. Once cut and bent, they should meet perfectly for your 90 degree bend. I simply clamped it to my work bench, and shaped with rubber mallet. Be sure to bent the top flanges first, and then the back side flanges prior to doing the main bends, or you will have issues!

Once bent to shape, drill and rivet Shifter boot on top. Being sure to catch one flange, and not the seem...

On the backside flanges I simply drilled 4 bolt holes, and mounted over shift lever. Installed shift knob.

I will update with addition thoughts, alternatives and idea's I also had and considered. That may work for your custom build as well. Feel free to ad any thoughts and idea's. But keep in mind.... This thread heavily leans towards the "Budget Build". I'll answer any questions anyone may have as well. Only thing I ask, is that you post a picture of your Budget Built Shifter in this thread, so that all others will have any and all info. at their finger tips for future builds.

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheesy!
Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote