View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: Who has started new Food Plots

BCW it took two plantings to get my duranna established. Make sure on first planting that you plant something like winter wheat that will grow fast so deer will leave duranna alone. In the middle of last summer I was cussing about how the drought had ruined my clover but now its looking good. It made an amazing recovery.
I don't use feeders(not there enough to keep filled) but do use mineral blocks and mineral licks. Licks are what I call the process of putting minerals in the ground and deer will actually lick the soil, paw it up, dig holes in it, etc. Hogs will hit the licks and blocks too. I have found blocks a hundred yards from where I set them out. Hogs will push them all over the place.
Wife and I went to camp Sat thru today. It was windy most of the time and couldn't hear the Tom's, but had fun just being there.
I just ordered some Va. peanut seed. I have some corn and spanish pnuts too to plant. I bought the Va. nuts so we can enjoy some boiled gobbers in August/sept. Good hunting, Mike
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote