Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is this? Electric Box on 95' Electric DS (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=91020)

Dustinboyd 03-05-2014 12:33 PM

What is this? Electric Box on 95' Electric DS

2 Attachment(s)
I've searched but it's hard to search when I don't know what this thing is. I'm just curious if anyone knows. It's a 95' Electric Club Car DS. I'm wondering what this box is by the rear of the battery bank, mounted to the frame. It's got two wires coming out of it, a black wire and a grey wire. The grey wire ends up turning into a red wire that has in inline fuse, which may be for the headlights. They are aftermarket headlights, I think. I don't know where the black wire goes. Sorry the description sucks but I don't really know how to better describe it. Pictures are included to help. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks!

jakesnake27 03-05-2014 12:44 PM

Re: What is this? Electric Box on 95' Electric DS

Probably a voltage reducer for the lights. Is it a 36 or 48v cart?

FlyingRN 03-05-2014 12:50 PM

Idk, but my 98 DS (48V) has a similar one mounted there. The cart came with lights in the body, but everything was disconnected. I'm hoping that's what it is. I was planning on hooking it up to a battery and ck the voltage coming out when I get the cart back together. Hopefully some of these sparky experts will provide us with an explanation and how to hook it up properly....

Dustinboyd 03-05-2014 12:59 PM

It's a 48v. I was thinking voltage reducer too, but the lights appear to be aftermarket and this box appears to be factory looking (the lights are just round KC-looking lights screwed into the top of the front/hood).

If that's all it is, I'm hoping to get rid of it as I added a 12v accessory battery for the lights and such.

Flying RN - that is a good idea to check the voltage coming out. Unfortunatly I don't have a means to do that right now.

Stevegrmich 03-05-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinboyd (Post 994458)
It's a 48v. I was thinking voltage reducer too, but the lights appear to be aftermarket and this box appears to be factory looking (the lights are just round KC-looking lights screwed into the top of the front/hood).

If that's all it is, I'm hoping to get rid of it as I added a 12v accessory battery for the lights and such.

Flying RN - that is a good idea to check the voltage coming out. Unfortunatly I don't have a means to do that right now.

. . . what is on the label on that box?

Dustinboyd 03-05-2014 01:37 PM

I dont know, its not legible. I'll take a 2nd look when I get home but it was hard to make any of it out.

scottyb 03-05-2014 01:39 PM

It's an 18 to 12v reducer

Dustinboyd 03-05-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks Scotty! Are you sure its not a 16 to 12v though? Its a 48v cart...

scottyb 03-05-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinboyd (Post 994494)
Thanks Scotty! Are you sure its not a 16 to 12v though? Its a 48v cart...

Yeah it is - typing too fast :oops:

Dustinboyd 03-05-2014 01:50 PM

Thank you (all) for the help :)