Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Harley Davidson (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   '79 HD MGIV - Caliper brakes shot? or not?? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=35139)

DumbMF 07-04-2010 07:28 PM

'79 HD MGIV - Caliper brakes shot? or not??

Hey guys, hoping someone with brake experience can point me in the right direction....apologies for not using the right lingo as i'm a total newbie.

I have a '79 HD MGIV. For the brakes, there is a single metal disk in the center off the drive train, then there's what I would call a caliper style brake that says "Nissin" on it.

If i have the back end of the cart off the ground and manually rotate the wheels...there is no sound. However if i press and release the accelerator, that turns the disk going through the caliper brake and there is a metal on metal sound. The sound gets worse if i hit the brakes.

So i took the brake unit off and took some pics. It looks like the way it was mounted was way crooked and perhaps the puck pad thing wore out both sides.

So my question is...can i just buy some HD Nissin brake pucks, replace then mount it so the wear is even? Are there any other options??

Thanks,
M

DumbMF 07-04-2010 10:07 PM

Re: '79 HD MGIV - Caliper brakes shot? or not??

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. I don't think they loaded on the original post.

jerrys 07-05-2010 01:15 AM

HI
I have a 79 hd MGIV
mine came with out a charger
is yours a 36 or 18 volt charger
I test at only 18 volts through the cart side charger plug
could you test yours and see what you get at the cart
I'm using 36 volt charger, but I have to jumper the batteries to get 36 volt throught the cart plug, then I pull the jumper when I drive the cart

DOOmsman 07-05-2010 11:44 AM

If the disc is not torn up replace the pucks and line it up.
The pucks will wear unevenly.

DumbMF 07-10-2010 10:18 AM

Well i found some pucks online. For what it's worth, it took me about 20 minutes of playing around with the brake to realize I needed to dial back the self adjuster thing so that there would be room for the rotor once the new pucks where in.

I'm off to test em now. If this is my last post...they didn't work...lol.

Jerry, I'm pretty new and well as you may guess not the smartest tool in the shed. Mine is 36V, but the batteries are shot. If the brake thing works out, I will be buyin some battteries over the weekend. Not sure exactly what you're asking me to do....

jerrys 07-10-2010 02:44 PM

hi
what volt "DC" is your battery charger is it 18 or 36 volt

DumbMF 07-11-2010 02:20 PM

Brakes are working perfectly!!!!

Jerrry, It is an EZGO total charge III charger that says "Output: 36Volts, 21 A D.C."

Hey do you have any emblems on the front or side of yours? Mine just has holes. the only way i know it's HD is the serial and the AMF HD sticker in the frnont drivers glove box.

DumbMF 07-11-2010 03:03 PM

Jerry, for what it's worth...it looks like my battery pack is two sets of 18. There's a main pos (1) connection of the drivers side. then a jumper goes neg (1) to pos (2), then another jumper neg (2) to pos (3). Then a main Neg (3) that goes back to the motor. Exact same on the passenger side.

If i meter pos (1) to neg (2) i get 17.98 V. Same if I go pos (4) to neg (6). But if pos (1) to neg (6) I got something right around 18 again, co i tried pos (4) to neg (3) and i got 0.

Then my meter kinda got really hot so i stopped...lol.

jerrys 07-11-2010 06:57 PM

HI
On on back side of mine the emblem says "HarleyDavidson AMF"
I was hoping you had the original battery charger
I "Jerry" rigged mine with a charge jumper so I could get 36 volt to the plug
to drive the cart I pull the jumper off
then I get speeds 1,2,3,4
If I leave it on I only get speeds 3,4

jerrys 07-11-2010 07:06 PM

here is the rest of what I wrote

As you say, for what it is worth,would you check the voltage at the car charge plug and tell me if it is 18 or 36 volts mine is 18 volts
If you have any questions on your MGIV I can help you with, let me know
Mine is wired from the schematic I got from Vintage Carts
thank
jerry