Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2003 CarryAll Turf 2 Lift (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33067)

JimBinMI 05-16-2010 07:58 AM

2003 CarryAll Turf 2 Lift

I have a 2003 CC CarryAll Turf 2 Gas that I'm currently lifting.
Got the front done Friday night, no problem, started working on the rear.
The lift is a 5" Red Hawk, I removed the leaf springs and the kit directions say to put them on top of a riser on top of the axle.
The problem: if I put the leaf springs will be in the way of the torsion/sway bar.
I think I read somewhere on this forum that a guy just removed it, if I do, what are the consequences? What is its purpose? I still want to use the cart as a CarryAll, so I don't want to weaken the rear end. My brother works for BDS/Truckmaster, they do lifts for trucks/jeeps/etc., he thinks that I can just extend the connection to make it work around the leaf springs.
I'd appreciate your suggestions.

JimBinMI 05-16-2010 08:08 AM

Re: 2003 CarryAll Turf 2 Lift

Tires/Wheels are 23 x 10.5 x 12

scottyb 05-16-2010 08:21 AM

I lifted a 2000 Carryall II and we ended up just removing the sway bar. The cart has been in service at a ranch doing all sorts of hill climbing and load carrying without sway issues that I am aware of.
I think your brother is right .... you should be able to remount the sway bar with a bit of re-engineering. Keep us posted.

JimBinMI 05-16-2010 06:58 PM

Finished the rear end lift today with the help of my son. For now, I left the sway bar zip tied out of the way.
I drove it down the road and through our field and wow does it sit high.
My son and nephew took it for a ride too. Then I got on it with my GPS to check speed: 9 mph before lift, 14 mph after. Then when turning in the field I had the front left tire rub so I was being very careful. When turning around carefully, or so I thought, the driver's front tire rubbed again, stopped me abruptly and the front left axle snapped off.
Looking at the break, it looks like cheap pot metal from China. So, I saved a few bucks, ordered it through my wife's business, and got crap.
The lift paperwork also says that the proper size tire for the lift is 22 x 11 x 10 and they sold me the tires/wheels/lift as a package and sent 23 x 10.5 x 12 wheels and tires.
The business will get me a new drop axle to replace the broken one, but what do I do if it breaks again? Buy American like I should have!

BLACK DEATH 05-16-2010 07:44 PM

Yeah gotta get the good stuff when it comes to suspension parts

Mellow Buggie 05-17-2010 10:52 AM

I have the same set up as you just left the sway bar disconnected. Aslo had to get a heavy duty front spring and it elimitnated the rubbing issue. Although it still rubs slightly on the frame only if I turn it the whole way. But as long as I'm careful not an issue dont really want to cut my frame. Danm thing looks like a beast with the 12" rims.

JimBinMI 05-17-2010 07:00 PM

The company is sending me a new spindle drop axle to replace the broken one. Also order some spacers to get the wheels out further, will add stability too.
I'll have to look into the heavier spring.
YES! It does look like a beast, like a mini monster truck!

JimBinMI 06-23-2010 08:18 AM

Update.
I rec'd the new drop spindle awhile ago but what I thought were wheel spacers that they were sending was an aluminum spacer that goes on top of the front spring to give more lift. The tires still rubbed a little so I took a sawsall and cut some of the frame sticking into the wheel well and then a grinder to smooth it out. I could still get some tire rub because the thing turns so sharp.
I decided that I need to limit the degree of turn so that I don't have any more tire rub problems, because I'm not the only one that drives it...so I bolted a piece of metal that I had from ???? to the connecting rod, the metal hangs down below the center frame that comes up to the front of the cart.
Now when I turn, the metal hits the frame and stops you from turning too far.
I haven't tried it a lot yet but believe it will work. I'll post some pics. I've got the front body off right now to sand and paint it.

Chuckie 06-23-2010 10:43 AM

Definately get some pics up. I have a 2001 carryall that would like to do some mods on but don't want to go thru all that rubbing and braking axles stuff. Any good lifts out there to avoid all this?

crash12888 06-23-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckie (Post 420546)
Definately get some pics up. I have a 2001 carryall that would like to do some mods on but don't want to go thru all that rubbing and braking axles stuff. Any good lifts out there to avoid all this?

Anything from our sponsors that says "Made in America"!!