Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric golf carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Others with a Cushman UTV Max 48V? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=17219)

Cushman UTV Max 05-23-2009 03:49 PM

Others with a Cushman UTV Max 48V?

I just picked up a Cushman UTV Max 48V cart. Not sure of the year, or the details behind this model. The Motor is a GE 5BC49JB2027 The previous owner indicated the unit has been trouble free for years, it got new batteries last spring, ran fine, but did not operate this spring. He cleaned the terminals, got nothing, saw nothing obvious, and was itching to buy a mule, so he sold the unit to me. I would love to find a few people familiar with this model so I can bounce questions against them as they come up. Many thanks, Tony Ortonville2@yahoo.com By the way, I added a similar message to two other posts in this forum, then read the rules, and see that I should not have added to the other threads w a general question. Apologies.

scottyb 05-23-2009 03:52 PM

Re: Others with a Cushman UTV Max 48V?

You are a fast learner :thumbup:
Post some pictures of the cart and the major electronics.... we may not know the vehicle.... but we know the 7 different ways to make an EV go :mrgreen:

Cushman UTV Max 05-23-2009 03:59 PM

Great, and thanks for the note. It's a funny thing, I am out of town on business, saw the unit for sale on the local Craigs List, and had my wife give the guy the cash. Price was worth it for the batteries (I figured). As soon as I get back, I will pick it up, take photos, and give it an eye for what might be wrong. Tony Ortonville2@yahoo.com

scottyb 05-23-2009 04:01 PM

Send her out to buy you a good voltmeter, Too :mrgreen: First thing we will want to know is the battery individual and pack voltage 8)

Cushman UTV Max 05-23-2009 04:10 PM

Agree, Trust me, she was NOT HAPPY to get involved w my insanity. I have an infinity for picking up other peoples frustrations. This is my first entry into carts. I have a fair sized property, and was driving me nuts going back and forth for stuff in the garage, the barn etc. I did not want to fire up a gas unit to go 400 feet, turn around and go back... Also wanted the kids to be able to help me out... Chomping at the bit to dig into this unit. I have my fingers crossed that it is a safety switch, or a bad connection. I prey it is not a big dollar controller/solenoid that is no longer made...

Cushman UTV Max 06-15-2009 09:06 PM

Hello team, I finally got my new project home. My kids are really excited! We went through the traditional wash and cleaning. Tonight I got some time to see what was is going on. All the cells show proper fluid level. The total pack voltage is 23.3 volts on a 48 volt system. All the batteries measured just under 6 volts except 3 batteries. The three measured 0.10, -0.70, -6.0. Just for the heck of it, I put a 2 amp battery charger on the -0.70. The charger saw it as an open circuit. I am surprised by the -6.0.... The batteries were installed last year. The cart ran fine (I am told), then nothing this spring (I am told). I plugged in the charger (on board). The pack voltage showed no change. I assume this is a self protect system. Beyond the questions above, here are a few additional: Can I use a 2 amp 6 volt charger on each battery (without disconnecting them from the circuit)? If 3 new batteries are in my future, can I buy used and mix them in? I am taking the connectors off one by one, cleaning, and using a thin coat of vaseline... Thanks in advance for your thoughts and tips. Tony in Michigan

BARRY RYAN 03-10-2011 12:07 AM

Yes, I have a Cushman 48volt. I cannot find the model number,but it has Ransomes on the steering wheel.
It is 4 wheel,inbuilt charger.Was going fine,but think I have the same trouble and also thought it could be a safety switch in the motor to protect it from brush failure damage.Would like a wiring diagram if I could find the model.I live in Australia and I think they built cars especially for us,although it is left hand drive.Will advise if I succeed.Cheers, Barry Ryan

ChevyjimW 10-09-2017 01:15 PM

Serial number on mine was under the left front headlight on frame. Also did you find a electrical schematic. Jim

ThreeCW 10-09-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyjimW (Post 1439639)
Serial number on mine was under the left front headlight on frame. Also did you find a electrical schematic. Jim

Jim,
You are not the first person to be caught replying to an old thread ... this one is 6 years old.
I hope those Cushmans are going strong!
Regards, 3CW

etoromu 01-30-2018 01:38 PM

Hi everyone !, my name is abraham and I have purchased a cushman utv max 898690, and the electrical system is a disaster. To any friend of the forum, please help me to put this beautiful machine into operation. greetings to all.