Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Charger with correct amp rating (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=116115)

ddh2433 03-17-2016 09:11 PM

Charger with correct amp rating

I'm looking to buy an on board charger. I just bought new batteries and they r 170 amps @ 20 hr. Is a 13 amp charger sufficient enough or would a 19.5 amp charger be better. On some of the forums I read that for an example for what I have a 17 amp or higher would be better for battery longevity. BTW I have a 6/8volt US batteries.

Helirich 03-18-2016 07:53 AM

Re: Charger with correct amp rating

I think you know the answer to this question. I guess you could go with a 2 amp charger. It just matters how quick you want it to charge. More is better, up to a point. (Batteries don't like to be charged to quick) But 19.5 will be no problem.

scottyb 03-18-2016 07:59 AM

Google is your friend.

The initial or bulk phase of the charge cycle should be close to 10% of the batteries capacity. Since you have opted for low capacity 8v (170ah) the 13 amp charger is okay for these. 19 amps is over kill but will not hurt them as it will back down in the 2nd and 3rd phases of the charge algorithm.

Helirich 03-18-2016 08:21 AM

Trojan recommends a maximum charger between 10 and 13 percent. But that is of the whole pack. So that would mean you could have a charger of 132 amps. (170x6x13%) But they say a lesser charger will just take longer to charge.

scottyb 03-18-2016 08:42 AM

These is more to it than that. And you are misreading what you found.

They are recommending 10% of the battery amp hour capacity. As previously discussed this week on the forum batteries require more than a trickle of amperage to remain healthy. Google battery equalization and stagnation

Helirich 03-18-2016 09:45 AM

As per Trojan:
"There are many types of chargers available today. They are usually rated by their start rate, the rate in amperes that the charger will supply at the beginning of the charge cycle. When selecting a charger, the charge rate should be between 10% and 13% of the battery’s 20-hour AH capacity. For example, a battery with a 20-hour capacity rating of 225 AH will use a charger rated between approximately 23 and 30 amps (for multiple battery charging use the AH rating of the entire bank). Chargers with lower ratings can be used but the charging time will be increased."

Read it how you like.

Edit also found this on Trojan:

"Many experts recommend that batteries be equalized periodically, ranging anywhere from once a month to once or twice per year. However, Trojan only recommends equalizing when low or wide ranging specific gravity (+/- .015) are detected after fully charging a battery."

Sergio 03-18-2016 10:03 AM

The issue is that "Bank" does not necessarily means "Batteries Connected in Series".

If Your read again the page where You got the information from (near the top):
http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...y-maintenance/
When You connect batteries in "Series", only the "Bank" voltage increases, the total AH of the "Bank" will be equal to the lowest AH battery in the "Bank".

Also the high AH deep cycle batteries cannot be charged with lower current, it is not just a matter of how long it takes.

270Handiman 03-18-2016 03:45 PM

It also say this on down toward the bottom under the solar application section

"Many charge controllers have equalization settings that you can set to help ensure the health of your batteries. Equalize your batteries at least once per month for 2 to 4 hours, longer if your batteries have been consistently undercharged."

I know we're not using them for solar, but obviously equalization isn't a bad thing or they wouldn't recommend doing it at least once a month.

JohnnieB 03-18-2016 04:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It appears Trojan's proof reader ought to co-ordinate their efforts more closely. :thumbdown:

Below are cut&paste excerpts from their Quick Start User's Guide and User's Guide (Complete edition).

The two guides have two differing recommendations. :lhmo:

Trojan recommends equalizing flooded batteries (NEVER AGM or Gel batteries) only when batteries have low specific gravity, below 1.235 or wide ranging specific gravity, > 0.030 points between cells, after fully charging. Please consult Trojan Battery’s complete User’s Guide and your battery charger’s user manual for detailed instructions on equalization.

4.4.3 Equalizing (deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries only)
Equalizing is an overcharge performed after fully charging deep-cycle flooded/wet batteries. An equalizing charge prevents battery stratification and reduces sulfation which are leading causes of battery failure. Trojan recommends equalizing every 30 days or when batteries have a low specific gravity reading after fully charging, below 1.235, or have a wide ranging specific gravity of >0.030 points between cells.

Both are attached in PDF format for your reading enjoyment.

ddh2433 03-18-2016 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. So will I be better off with the 13 or 19.5 amp Lester charger. What I get out of it is the 20 hr. Amp rating is 170 for my battery type so a 17 amp charger is what would be recommended. If I'm wrong can someone explain it simpler.