Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   88 ezgo marathon purchase (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=151816)

Rizzle906 04-14-2019 11:23 AM

88 ezgo marathon purchase

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Im new to the golf cart world. Ive been looking for awhile now and have stumbled on this 88 marathon for 1000$. I guess what im asking is if it worth it? Cart prices by me are ridiculous and i have yet to find anything less then 1500$ and most need work. This has been gone through. Cleaned carb, plugs, new fuel. Seem pretty decent. Has 135 compression.

trig123 04-14-2019 11:52 AM

Re: 88 ezgo marathon purchase

According to where you are located. I would not pay that much but I am tight :mrgreen: I looked closer at your picture and I sure wouldn't pay a grand for that cart but that is me :)

Rizzle906 04-14-2019 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info but you say according to where i live you wouldnt pay that. If you look anywhere online around where i live there is nothing thats under 2k thats decent. Buy the pic you say you wouldnt pay 1k. What do you see or not see that makes you say that? This will be mainly used to go 2 miles to my inlaws and around the yard for my boy. I like the idea of 2smoke over 4stroke because the ease of rebuilding. Thanks again for replying i appreciate it.

cart around 04-14-2019 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you already driven the cart? Does it jump to life? Does it hit at least 18mph with ease?
Compression on that engine brand new is only 120 psi. Somebody has changed the piston.
Over the years, there have been a few people on here that had a high compression like that, but the cart wouldn't run. It was because the piston was in backwards.

How much would you pay for a 31 year old bone stock Chevy? I have a 2007 Cobalt that isn't worth $500.

This is the manual.

Rizzle906 04-14-2019 07:09 PM

Well for a 31 year old chevy people are spending a fortune so that dont compare. The age isnt a factor in my eyes. As long as its in good shape and a decent price then im ok with that. I havent drove it as its 30ish mins from me. Going to check it out tomorrow. The guy owns a cart repair shop and is very well known. I appreciate your feedback and ill definitely keep everything in mind you said so i guess if it isnt in **** near new shape ill pass.

Dabble Inn 04-14-2019 11:00 PM

From what I can tell in the pic $1000 would be about double in my area, I don't even see a roof. What state are you in?

Mooncarter 04-14-2019 11:05 PM

If that cart is solid and runs good it's worth $1000 easily around here.

Rizzle906 04-15-2019 06:56 AM

Dabble im from escanaba mi. The u.p. i know its had to say what somethings worth by a pic. And i guess somethings worth whatever someone is willing to spend so its kind of a double edge sword. Mooncarter its wild the price difference by location! I looked on ebay and their all high for 1000 miles around then drop off then are high. This is the only one ive come across thats 1k and runs. Its ridiculous

CP241 04-15-2019 07:16 AM

Check closely for rust. Frame. Steering box, etc.

If theres no rust and it runs like it should, might be worth it. I'd be asking a lot of questions about the motor though, compression being 15psi higher than the spec in the service manual is a red flag, especially in a 30 year old cart.

trig123 04-15-2019 09:39 AM

Rizzle906, I married a girl from Ishpeming, Mi so I know that area are pretty good .
You will need a windshield if you plan on using that cart otherwise you will freeze. :mrgreen:
Those 2-strokes do start better in cold weather than the 4-strokes.
The compression gauge could be off a few pounds. You mentioned a golf cart shop has it so he should know.
I didn't know carts were that high in the UP. Maybe I need to rebuild some here in Ala and bring them to your area and sell them. :mrgreen::mrgreen: