Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car Precedent Jerks and Stops (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=137541)

blfinche 12-11-2017 08:51 PM

Club Car Precedent Jerks and Stops

I've been working on upgrading my Precedent after the original controller burned out. I upgraded to an Alltrax XCT 500 Controller and D&D motor. New 2 gauge cables. I'm running on 23" tires. Now to the problem.

When I step on the accelerator the cart will go kerthunk and just kind of jerk. I can ease on pedal and get it going sometimes. Other times, it will run fine. It always runs fine in reverse.

I've tried swapping the mcor, but it didn't make a difference. I disabled the speed sensor in the controller and it didn't make a difference. I lowered the low voltage to see if the batteries were the issue and again no difference.

I've been working with Alltrax support, but I would like to hear from you guys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks in advance.

NoleFan4Ever 12-12-2017 12:06 AM

Re: Club Car Precedent Jerks and Stops

I would have suggested MCOR or motor brushes, but since both are new, its back to more thought.

I do know and have seen some of the cheap aftermarket MCOR's be bad right out the box. Maybe probe it and verify the signal from off pedal to full throttle and see if it is gradual and smooth.

Sergio 12-12-2017 06:57 AM

I am surprised that Alltrax did not ask you to run a monitor log to see what is happening.

If they did, can you post the results?

Since you have a 2009 model, it is possible it originally had a TPS throttle that was later converted to MCOR.

Check the post below and see if you have that TPS to MCOR adapter, if You do, is the serial number on your cart PH or PQ?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1064004
If You don't have a laptop to be able to log the data while the cart is running, at least post pictures of your settings including the Speed and Torque curves so we can make sure there is enough power available to get those 23" tires moving.

blfinche 12-12-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever (Post 1458086)
I would have suggested MCOR or motor brushes, but since both are new, its back to more thought.

I do know and have seen some of the cheap aftermarket MCOR's be bad right out the box. Maybe probe it and verify the signal from off pedal to full throttle and see if it is gradual and smooth.

I went back to the original MCOR and the results are the same. I have monitored the MCOR signal from the Alltrax software and it appears to be linear.

blfinche 12-12-2017 08:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1458123)
I am surprised that Alltrax did not ask you to run a monitor log to see what is happening.

If they did, can you post the results?

Since you have a 2009 model, it is possible it originally had a TPS throttle that was later converted to MCOR.

Check the post below and see if you have that TPS to MCOR adapter, if You do, is the serial number on your cart PH or PQ?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1064004
If You don't have a laptop to be able to log the data while the cart is running, at least post pictures of your settings including the Speed and Torque curves so we can make sure there is enough power available to get those 23" tires moving.

I do think I have an adapter. I see a little black box zip tied in. My serial # starts with "PD". I've attached all my logs. I'm using the stock throttle curve (FieldCurve_5062-V3) provided by Alltrax. I'll get a screen shot and add it.

I reloaded the field curve and the cart seemed to drive fine for a day. I charged it up and the next morning I was getting the kerthunk again.

Thanks

blfinche 12-12-2017 09:07 AM

This is so frustrating. I've done nothing since I parked the cart yesterday, except hook up the laptop to get a throttle response snapshot. Now the cart is running fine again. I didn't recharge the cart overnight, since I didn't run it yesterday, so nothing has changed.

Sergio 12-12-2017 10:23 AM

Did You send that log to Alltrax?

I think you may be having issues with that TPS to MCOR adapter, if You notice in your logs the HPD flag is dropping and the cart is going into regen with 100% throttle.

In the Alltrax software go to:
Tools->Options
Check the box: "Allow edit of throttle types"
Then on the Throttle Settings Tab, uncheck "High Pedal Disable".

If that takes care of the problem, You will need to bypass that adapter.

blfinche 12-12-2017 03:54 PM

I did send the logs to Alltrax and they had me uncheck the High Pedal Disable, but it didn't help. I will try again.

Sergio 12-12-2017 04:22 PM

Make sure it is still unchecked in case you forgot to hit the "Set" button after you made the change last time.

Since you have a 2009 Excel cart, that TPS to MCOR adapter has 453Ω resistors in each of the throttle wires before the MCOR.

The good news is that unlike the OEM Controller, the Alltrax does not need those resistors so if that is causing a problem You can easily just cut the wires OFF before and after the connector and splice them together.

blfinche 12-12-2017 06:08 PM

I have the high pedal disabled and I can drive around for now. Something has changed. If I stomp the pedal now, I get a shudder/jerkiness, but it smoothes out. I'll try driving it for a day or two and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help. I will keep everyone posted with the results.