Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cart loses power fast (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=10288)

ezryder 11-17-2008 10:18 PM

Cart loses power fast

I have a 36v 1992 CC (Regen I think) which loses power within minutes of starting out. I just installed 6 new Energizer batteries and new cables (in series POS->NEG->POS etc.) The charger indicated it was fully charged but after driving only a short distance, the cart would lose power fast until it would hardly move. I thought it strange that it only took 1-2 hrs to charge. Tested the batteries and they all read 6.34 - 6.36 volts. I ran the cart, it went about 100' then up a hill and about halfway up the hill it began losing steam. By the time I reached the top of the hill, it was REAL slow, finally just crawling, like it was ready to die completely. Then it would barely move at all. I then tested the batteries again and they all read from 6.27 - 6.28.

Next, I recharged the cart overnight again. I ran a load test with the cart jacked up (it died fast as expected) but the voltage only dropped about .02 to .05 volts on each battery - from about 6.29 volts to 6.27 volts, I think the lowest was 6.24. Is this normal? After charging and prior to the test, all were right at 6.40 volts. This doesn't seem like a big drop so why is the cart so weak?

I also tested the batteries after charging and 4 of them had a specific gravity of 1.250 (top of "fair") one was 1.275 (bottom of "good) and one had one cell between 1.250 and 1.275, one @ 1.250 and one @ 1.275 according to my tester.

So what does all this mean? Do I have a battery problem or is it something else?

ezryder 11-18-2008 07:48 AM

Re: Cart loses power fast

oops, not a regen.

scottyb 11-18-2008 07:54 AM

Odd, new batteries and SG readings are within normal....Maybe you have the charger wires hooked up wrong and only 5 batteries are in the loop? What is the pack voltage. Is this a controller cart or do you have a bank of resistors behind the batteries?

ezryder 11-18-2008 12:14 PM

I'm new to this so please bear with me...

a) How do I know if the charger wires are hooked up correctly?
b) How do I check the pack voltage?
c) What is a controller cart and how do I know if I have one? What does this bank of resistors look like?

Thanks!

rusty 11-18-2008 07:15 PM

Welcome to the forum ezryder...................

timbo2 11-18-2008 08:18 PM

They Did Make Few 36 Volt Clubs With Solid State Speed Controllers But Most Of Them Were Resistor Cars If It Has A Controller On It Probubly The Controller

ezryder 11-20-2008 04:50 PM

It's a controller cart. How do I test the controller?

Denny 11-20-2008 05:16 PM

hi ezrider
i have the same cart with the controller its a curtis 1204-15 cost $450.00 on up you can test but its hard to do i sent mine in to FSIP in carlisle pa thay test and remanfacture the cost is $181 plus frt im waiting to here from them now their # is 1-800-333-1194

shadowman 11-20-2008 06:05 PM

you need the manual to test the controller right, as far as having the charging wires hooked up right follow them from the receptical to where they hook to batteries............pos 10 gage wire should go to pos of #1 battery and 10 gage neg wire should go to neg of #6 battery..........have you tested, load tested and checked cell with hydrometer?................................8)

ezryder 11-21-2008 11:00 AM

I have the manual. Charging wires are connected properly. As far as the tests, yes I have done those - please read my first post...;-) I also hooked a battery load tester to each battery and there was very little voltage drop.