Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   HD vs Std F/R switch (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=147048)

Gallachera89 10-16-2018 01:08 PM

HD vs Std F/R switch

I have an 89 club car that was originally a 36v cart..
Was upgraded to 48v and i have all the corresponding parts to go with it and have been a little over kill for what i have.

Question being though.. Does the HD F/R switch make any difference?
Performance/amp draw/Heat

Or is it just a way for company's to make money

EDIT
What are the specifics that are different if in fact any and what are the benefits

Sergio 10-16-2018 01:18 PM

Re: HD vs Std F/R switch

If Your stock FNR is getting hot, then YES, the HD version will increase your performance.

Usually the issue becomes more the pressure between the FNR contact pads (resistance) than the actual current carrying capacity of the copper pads.

The best option for high current Series cart is the Reversing contactor as it has a pretty small contact resistance due to the force the contacts are pressed against each other.

Gallachera89 10-16-2018 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotcha, wallet does not permit that at the moment but im trying to squeeze all i can out of this thing

as you can see in my Sig
D&D +40 high torque, logisystems 700 amp controller, 25in tires, has 8 6volt batteries, 400a solenoid from scottyb and you can see in the picture i have attached that i have plenty of wire for the batteries .. Pack is strong btw

And i can only get about 20mph out of this thing so thats why im starting to pin point little pieces i think may make a difference

LukeL 10-16-2018 02:25 PM

With those specs an HD FNR is a must. I’ve seen so many of those things melt with people ignoring them while upgrading.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59

Gallachera89 10-16-2018 02:36 PM

Okay so if i bite the bullet and get an HD switch whats the scoop with all the extra wires on it ?

LukeL 10-16-2018 03:05 PM

Extra wires? The switch Scotty sells is the same but heavier duty. Unless you’re looking at a reversing contacting- those have extra wires.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59

NoleFan4Ever 10-16-2018 03:34 PM

And I cannot tell from the pics if those new cables have crimped plastic covers, but if they are not sealed in heat shrink, get yourself some good quality 3-1 and seal them up tightly. You will be much more appreciative of it with the corrosive atmosphere from your batteries and the environment in general.

Gallachera89 10-16-2018 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
NoleFan4Ever
I will get on that thank you

LukeL

you can see i have attached 2 pictures

1 is my old one which i have replaced already with the same style just new
the other is the heavy duty which has a bunch of extra wires

TexTurbo 10-16-2018 04:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the reason you need a HD reverser.......

A 36v series cart, upgraded to 48v (2 in the bagwell), Altraxx 48500, 400 sol, 2 ga cables and a STOCK FnR switch....... he purposely cheaped out with a stock replacement...

Worked great until he got it loaded and in a little mud.......

You ever seen a 500 amp arc ??? Look below...

Gallachera89 10-16-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexTurbo (Post 1550650)
This is the reason you need a HD reverser.......

A 36v series cart, upgraded to 48v (2 in the bagwell), Altraxx 48500, 400 sol, 2 ga cables and a STOCK FnR switch....... he purposely cheaped out with a stock replacement...

Worked great until he got it loaded and in a little mud.......

You ever seen a 500 amp arc ??? Look below...

I most definitely do not want this to happen but i need to figure out this wire situation lol if i dont have to use but 2 of them thats fine but which ones are utilized and which are not