Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yamaha AC Drive Won't Move Just Chatters (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=174763)

sleeplesstwo 04-05-2021 08:51 PM

Yamaha AC Drive Won't Move Just Chatters

I am working on a 2017 AC drive Yamaha with Neos Toyota controller. It is very strange, when depressing the accelerator pedal it just chatters badly and wont move.

I first did the usual and obvious stuff. Pack voltage good, loose damaged wires, solenoid operation. I felt like it was single phasing like the three phase motors I have seen at work many times when a variable frequency drive has failed.

I checked the resistance between phases and for a possible short to motor case. I don't know specifically what it should ohm out between phases, but the numbers were consistent, so I moved on feeling like the motor is fine.

This is where it gets strange, I swapped two of the phases on the motor to see if it would possibly chatter/move in the other direction like reversing the rotation on other three phase motors, and not only did it reverse the F/R direction but cart works smooth and semi normal. Only reason I say semi-normal, is forward is reverse and vice versa. In truth I probably wouldn't care and I would just swap the selector switch, but it is reduced speed reverse... um well now forward.

Has anyone ever seen this issue before? I feel like it is pickup sensor, or corrupt programming in the controller. I am inclined to think corrupt controller software just because if I remove the pickup out of the motor and install the phases correctly, it doesn't chatter anymore but just moves forward and backward correctly but super slow (limp mode).

Carryone 04-06-2021 02:26 PM

Re: Yamaha AC Drive Won't Move Just Chatters

Hi
do you have any Led flash on controller ?

sleeplesstwo 04-06-2021 11:13 PM

No. LED is solid green. Tried known good controller from another cart. Same issue.

CustomCurt 04-07-2021 03:37 AM

one bad battery cell or bad connection could do that, try adding washers to each battery post and check to see that the wires are tight rather than the nuts

sleeplesstwo 04-07-2021 05:35 AM

I will give the cables another check. I just kind of feel it would do it either direction. when I change any phase on the motor the cart drives great, just wrong direction.

LPnTX 04-07-2021 01:13 PM

My 07 Drive did the same thing when the stock Hitachi motor started to fail.

sleeplesstwo 04-08-2021 05:49 AM

Problem solved. I removed the Tach sensor (Yamaha), or speed sensor (EZGO), for a closer inspection. I found it had a crack in the top, outside where the cable goes into the sensor. I replaced the sensor and now it's smooth as silk.

The only reason I mentioned EZGO, is that the sensor on the later RXV models is the same sensor as on the Yamaha AC Drive, or at least in this case.

I am going to assume that something hit it, or more likely when someone was installing the lift kit the installer didn't have it supported correctly and motor rolled forward damaging it. It was still working, but the signal to the controller must have been out of spec. The rollaway braking function still worked fine with the bad sensor, and if the bad sensor was pulled out of the motor, but still connected to the cart, the shuddering would stop, but cart would be in limp mode.

rstacy 04-08-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomCurt (Post 1817504)
one bad battery cell or bad connection could do that, try adding washers to each battery post and check to see that the wires are tight rather than the nuts

I'm glad that you got it fixed but here is something to think about and why this was a good suggestion.
Reverse uses half as much power as forward which is why a bad cell or connection may not show up in reverse.
You will see this in older cars where the car cuts out going forward but runs fine in reverse.

sleeplesstwo 04-08-2021 08:36 PM

Input always appreciated. Thank you.