Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car Precedent Excessive Negative Camber (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=139821)

Blackdogracing 03-13-2018 06:09 PM

Club Car Precedent Excessive Negative Camber

Somebody clue me in. I love to work on golf carts but I'm having a problem correcting Club Car Precedents that have excessive negative camber. I've tried replacing the front spring, replacing the spindles, replacing bushings. Its hard to tell if spindles are bent so how do you professionals tell which part or parts to replace to correct this issue. Just so I'm clear both front wheels will have negative camber so the eccentric bolt does not correct the issue. Thanks for any advice

mrgolf 03-13-2018 06:14 PM

Re: Club Car Precedent Excessive Negative Camber

Best thing is alsport lift kit.

Blackdogracing 03-14-2018 06:30 AM

A lift is certainly one way but I would like to be able to correct with stock parts without a lift. I've tried various part swaps with some change but not able to recreate the carts original camber.

Cartmaster 03-14-2018 06:46 AM

What year are we talking about? I usually find on the later ones, that the Upper clevis (lets call it the bracket that the bottom of the shock mounts to) has bowed/dished at the bottom and allows the spindle to sag backwards creating negative camber. No real way to repair so i replace the bracket and spindle top nut together and this usually fixes it.

If not this, then maybe the A-arm is bent.

Blackdogracing 03-14-2018 10:32 AM

Thanks for the input. I never would have even looked at that part. I have one later today to look at and I'll let you know what I find.

joesam 03-14-2018 11:02 AM

When my golf club first got their new fleet of Precedents (2006 I think) the maintenance people were plagued by about a half dozen bent A Arms. Their prior DS's never had this problem - and it took a bit of sleuthing to figure it out. Our golf course crosses public roads in 4 places. Although the sidewalk curbs at these crossings are "ramped" at the cart paths - careless/abusive renters had ignored the sidewalk ramp areas and had rammed one wheel directly into curbs. The bad ones were easy to spot - but when the fleet had aged 4 years there were about another half dozen carts that had scrubbed their front tires bald because they were "mildly" bent - and the leasing company charged the golf club for replacing A arms on all of those.

For some reason - DS's were not as susceptible to this abuse. In any case - the cart people showed the pro-shop what to look for - and abusive renters are now charged for the damage.

Blackdogracing 03-14-2018 02:10 PM

I just replaced the all the front bushings and the A arms didn't look bent. The clevis looked fine also. I know spindles can be bent and not readily noticeable. After new bushings and setting the toe in there was still about 1 inch negative camber on both sides. The cart I'm working on is a 2008 precedent. I'm one of those stubborn people that just won't let this go. I'll replace everything in the front end if I have to but I would like to diagnose this problem correctly.

Cartmaster 03-14-2018 03:19 PM

The issue with the Clevis is not obvious. Remove and place on a flat surface. You should have no wobble at all. If the bottom surface is slightly dished and you have a wobble or the hole that the king pin thread goes through is worn, you will see negative camber. Also as I have mentioned and as joesam has said, even a mildly bent a arm, also not obvious, can show the same neg camber. Add both issues and it shows up real bad. Trust me as joesam and I obviously work with fleets of these and I see it regularly. Joesam story is identicle to mine. Punters hitting Kerbs and sleepers etc

Blackdogracing 03-14-2018 04:10 PM

I have ordered new A arms and Clevis’s. Thank you guys for the valuable input. I’ll check back in after replacing those parts.

Blackdogracing 04-29-2018 04:54 PM

New clevis's didn't help. The answer was to go to my local cart shop and pick up a whole front end they had scraped when they did a lift kit. My front end is now perfect at almost no cost. Thanks to all for the help