Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   48 volts with (6) 8 volt batteries (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=40845)

oletop 11-08-2010 03:03 PM

48 volts with (6) 8 volt batteries

Can anyone give me a ball park idea of how long the run time will be with 6 eight volt batteries for a 48 colt txt seires cart. It will have a 500 amp controller and will be used on flat ground around the neighborhood. Stock sized tires as well. My friend is picking up a cart today and I am going to help him with his cart. He needs new batteries for sure. He wants to go 48v and would rather 6 batteries since they will fit in the compartment correctly. How much will the runtime suffer rather than using 8 six volt batteries?

Thanks,

David J.

gornoman 11-08-2010 03:16 PM

Re: 48 volts with (6) 8 volt batteries

The 8-6v setup should yield 25-30% longer runtimes than the 6-8v setup. More lead in the sled...

dougmcp 11-08-2010 05:03 PM

It's not as simple question as it seems.
As Gornoman mentioned above, lead = run time so if you used 8x6v batteries to get to 48v your run time would increase over the 6x6v that you currently have because you have added batteries.
Exchanging 6v batteries for 8v batteries would net approximately the same amount of distance you can cover with a full charge. The run time may be reduced slightly but the speed and torque are increased with the net result of mileage covered being equal.
A series cart converted to 48v should give you about a 30% increase in speed and torque.
IMO a 500a controller is overkill for a stock cart with stock tires on flat ground around a neighborhood. If you really feel you need a larger controller, a 400a controller should be more than adequate.

oletop 11-08-2010 05:12 PM

Thanks for your responses. This is going to be for a friend of mines cart. He is just looking for a little speed. It will not be used for offroad and he does not want to lift the cart. What is the most cost effective way to increase the speed of a stock series cart? I know going to a 48 volt system will help, but a controller and solenoid are needed if I am thinking correct.What are ya'll thoughts?

gornoman 11-08-2010 05:41 PM

There are only 4 ways to increase speed on a correctly running series cart:

Increase rear tire diameter to 20"(assuming you have the torque to spare)
Install high-speed gearset (assuming you have the torque to spare)
Increase system voltage to the stock motor (batteries, controller, solenoid, charger)
Install a custom wound motor

There is a fifth option, but going downhill all the time is impossible.

oletop 11-08-2010 05:46 PM

Downhill, now that's funny stuff. I wish it were possible because my truck would be very fuel efficient.

f150onfn33s 11-09-2010 10:11 AM

hey dave i got the cart at my house , come by today if you can and check it out, def need some front end work it sits very low,, and battery tray is rotted out..havent decided on 36 or 48 v system yet or if i want to lift it ...

oletop 11-09-2010 11:39 AM

Glad to see you got it. Now we just have to make a plan of attack. And Welcome to BGW.