Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Are the rear shocks really needed with HD rear springs? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=45168)

Superman51 03-07-2011 06:05 PM

Are the rear shocks really needed with HD rear springs?

Ok, I know that if the shocks were not needed, EZGO would have not put them on there. But, I replaced my rear springs with the heavy duty leaf spring. These bad boys have 4 leafs on each one and are stiff!!!!! I bought them to compensate for the extra torque that will be going to the rear wheels. I’m not so worried about the ride because the cart will mainly be used for hunting. With the shocks disconnected, my friend and I stood on the bumper and the cart did not sink. We have a combined weight of 600lbs. We then jumped in unison and the back end may have sunk ˝ inch. I know that the springs will loosen up some but another friend has the same springs on his cart for a year now and they are still as stiff.

The reason I ask is I want to use the space over the motor and the shocks are really getting in the way. The shocks main purpose is to absorb impacts and make the ride smoother. If the springs are so stiff that the shocks cannot do their job, do I really need them?

pachanga90 03-07-2011 06:20 PM

Re: Are the rear shocks really needed with HD rear springs?

The shocks don't do anything for load-carrying ability(unless air or coil-over),they are for ride-comfort.They reduce bounce and cushion the ride,thats it.Yes you can run without them,but out on the trails you may want them,especially if you load the rear and its' a rough trail(as you load it,the leafs flatten and get bouncier),you will notice a difference running shocks.What about relocating them to fit your needs?As far as Torque going to them,with the power you are running in most carts(excluding maybe a gixxer-motor)with the short length of the spring,wrap-up won't be a concern anyway.I work for a local spring-shop and i've seen some setups that people wanted because they thought it should be....,or someone said.....,and believe me,you'd be suprised how much those little leaves can really do.I would say use your own judgement,its' not really a safety issue,more of ride-comfort.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Superman51 03-07-2011 06:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. As far as load carrying….I don’t see my cart with more than 600lbs on it so it shouldn’t take any weight off the springs. If there isn’t any weight on the springs, the shocks will probably never see action. I’m building a shelf like area over the motor so relocating them wouldn’t do any good.

As far as the springs, I guess I need to update my signature. I have upgraded to a D&D 4:1 motor, 700A, 48V, and 2 gauge wires for torque (along with all the other goodies). I have seen on this site that people with half that much torque destroyed their springs. Plus, they were 16 years old so I just got them.

madoc1 03-07-2011 08:17 PM

super, you need shocks, specially with little weight. with out you will spill your beer.:mrgreen:

dutdut1981 03-07-2011 11:11 PM

I have the same setup with no rear shocks. It works just fine for me on the farm and hunting

Checkride 04-06-2011 04:43 PM

This thread really got me thinking and wondering. I guess the only thing I didn't change out was the leaf springs. I'm sort of torqued out, too. I just put my new T-890's in and it took quite a squat. The back of my rear 2-leaf springs look horizontal and the front of the rear leaf's are still bowed upward. My cart looks like it may be squatting a good 2-3 inches to the rear. I do have HD shocks on the rear. What would be the suggestion to level out? and should I increase from the 2-leaf's for the torque? :help:

Superman51 04-07-2011 03:32 PM

Hi checkride, I REALLY suggest adding the HD springs if your current springs have leveled out. I did it for two main reasons. First, my springs had leveled out and I use my cart 90% off road. Also, my two extra batteries are in the back along with my bed that could potentially carry a heavy load. Second, I read several posts where people actually “snapped” and “wrapped” their springs around their axle from the torque. I didn’t want to take a chance with that happening, especially since I have enough torque to flip over backwards now.

The shocks provide a cushion but do not actually provide any lift. The HD shocks will not prevent the axle wrap from happening; just provide a better off road ride. Looking at your setup, I would definitely recommend the HD rear springs. The HD springs I purchased from Everything Carts are super strong and added about 2-3 more inched of lift from my wore out stock springs. I’m not sure if all HD springs all the same, but they are so stiff that I didn’t even need my rear shocks. It’s not a bad thing, it just rides really stiff. But I use it off road anyway so it doesn’t matter.

Also, I read recently that someone used 5 leaf trailer springs for the rear. They did this because they broke the original springs. I saw some at tractor supply the other day for a fraction of the cost. It might be worth taking some measurements and checking it out. Good luck. :thumbup:

Checkride 04-07-2011 04:18 PM

Superman, Thanks for the info. When you say HD I'm thinking you mean the 4 leaf. I think I'll order a set. Thanks for the feed back.

Superman51 04-07-2011 04:48 PM

No problem man. When I say HD I mean Heavy Duty which are the 4 leaf on each spring. BTW, do you have any updated pictures of your cart? It sounds awesome!

COURTESYCART 04-07-2011 04:59 PM

they also make a 3-leaf rear spring also. If you think the 4-leafs may be too stiff for your app.

NOTE: I see carts all the time with broken rear springs. its not uncommon. I actuatly replaced a set yesterday with 4-leaf HD springs due to 1 standard (2-leaf) was broken.