Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2012 RXV spring noise - is it normal? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=122083)

ericshufro 08-24-2016 05:47 PM

2012 RXV spring noise - is it normal?

Hello. I recently purchases a custom stretched RXV with a Kurtis controller and 6 new 8v batteries. It mostly runs fine but I have a few questions as a first time cart owner.

1. After it rained, we are hearing significant noise in the suspension. It can be emulated by standing on the cart and shaking it back and forth. is this normal? What should be done? Do the bushings need to be replaced or just greased?

2. Upon starting or near stopping, I hear a noise like 'tickticktickticktick' but only at low speeds. I cannot reproduce this standing still or once rolling past a few mph. Any idea what this could be?

3. After charging my battery gauge usually shows 100% (or over the max line) and degrades gradually with several hours of driving to 50% or so. However, sometimes the gauge will jump from 50% to 75% or more. Is this normal? My local guy says the gauge is controlled by the controller; nothing can be done. He says that sitting batteries may show a higher voltage but I think this occurs without much sitting or 'off' time. Sounds like I am being fed fluff. I expected the gauge to monotonically decrease without charging, never increase. Is this a correct expectation or am i seeing normal behavior?

4. When i charge the batteries, sometimes you can hear them boiling. They are filled to the correct level. I don't know if its normal or if the charger simply has not shut off and the batteries are overcharging. Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

--Eric

rabbitreborn 08-25-2016 08:18 AM

Re: 2012 RXV spring noise - is it normal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericshufro (Post 1309262)
Hello. I recently purchases a custom stretched RXV with a Kurtis controller and 6 new 8v batteries. It mostly runs fine but I have a few questions as a first time cart owner.

1. After it rained, we are hearing significant noise in the suspension. It can be emulated by standing on the cart and shaking it back and forth. is this normal? What should be done? Do the bushings need to be replaced or just greased? It is not unusual for the bushings to squeak, especially given that the cart has been altered so there is more flex in the suspension.

2. Upon starting or near stopping, I hear a noise like 'tickticktickticktick' but only at low speeds. I cannot reproduce this standing still or once rolling past a few mph. Any idea what this could be?That is the sound of the gears meshing together. The lubricating oil has not reached them yet, once you are moving the oil is splashed to the gears and the sound goes away.... normal issue.

3. After charging my battery gauge usually shows 100% (or over the max line) and degrades gradually with several hours of driving to 50% or so. However, sometimes the gauge will jump from 50% to 75% or more. Is this normal? My local guy says the gauge is controlled by the controller; nothing can be done. He says that sitting batteries may show a higher voltage but I think this occurs without much sitting or 'off' time. Sounds like I am being fed fluff. I expected the gauge to monotonically decrease without charging, never increase. Is this a correct expectation or am i seeing normal behavior?
After being driven the batteries are at a low point and as they sit at rest, there is the possibility that they will increase in voltage as the drain on them is no longer present. A 50-75% jump does seem a little much, but is not impossible. I personally don't put a lot of faith in the gauge that EZGO sells for these carts, you may want to consult ScottyB about a digital meter instead.
4. When i charge the batteries, sometimes you can hear them boiling. They are filled to the correct level. I don't know if its normal or if the charger simply has not shut off and the batteries are overcharging. Any advice?
Batteries boil during the charge process, older batteries boil even more because they are on charge longer.
Thank you in advance.

--Eric

See my comments above in red.

ericshufro 08-25-2016 07:42 PM

Re: 2012 RXV spring noise - is it normal?

Thank you. That puts some of my fears to rest.