Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   81 EZgo power and other questions. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=3863)

remlle 03-15-2008 03:37 PM

81 EZgo power and other questions.

I got this for 200 bucks works great runs nice and is great to putts around in. MY questions are and Im hoping someone can help me!
1:) what engines can I Get that will fit and speed the cart up.
2:) any mods I Can do to the existing engine to speed it up?
3:) the trottle cable is broken and I have a new one on order but what am I Going to see a difference in when I get it working. The cart has great tourque. it gets up and goes great but has low top end.
4:) what is the proper oil to fuel mixture. I have an oil res. but Its not working because the throttle cable is not working. (or so Im told)

thanks

Bob-0 03-15-2008 08:29 PM

Re: 81 EZgo power and other questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by remlle (Post 57621)
I got this for 200 bucks works great runs nice and is great to putts around in. MY questions are and Im hoping someone can help me!
1:) what engines can I Get that will fit and speed the cart up.
2:) any mods I Can do to the existing engine to speed it up?
3:) the trottle cable is broken and I have a new one on order but what am I Going to see a difference in when I get it working. The cart has great tourque. it gets up and goes great but has low top end.
4:) what is the proper oil to fuel mixture. I have an oil res. but Its not working because the throttle cable is not working. (or so Im told)

thanks

1) What ever engine you want... Nothing other than an older 1PG engine or the 2PG HO engine will drop in.

2) You can do a lot to the engine, but you need to take it to a machine shop.

3) The difference will be in your ability to drive at slow speeds and not have the engine backfire.

4). 1.5oz/gal.... Someone told you wrong, the oil pump and carb are set up to deliver maximum output in the event of a throttle cable/pump cable failure. So with your throttle cable being broke, the oil pump is delivering maximum oil to the engine.... It was designed that way as a safety to ensure that : 1) Throttle cable fails and you get full throttle to make it back to service the car... 2) the oil pump cable fails and the engine is assured oil.

Bob

remlle 03-16-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob-0 (Post 57657)
1) What ever engine you want... Nothing other than an older 1PG engine or the 2PG HO engine will drop in.

2) You can do a lot to the engine, but you need to take it to a machine shop.

3) The difference will be in your ability to drive at slow speeds and not have the engine backfire.

4). 1.5oz/gal.... Someone told you wrong, the oil pump and carb are set up to deliver maximum output in the event of a throttle cable/pump cable failure. So with your throttle cable being broke, the oil pump is delivering maximum oil to the engine.... It was designed that way as a safety to ensure that : 1) Throttle cable fails and you get full throttle to make it back to service the car... 2) the oil pump cable fails and the engine is assured oil.

Bob

where do I get one of these older 1PG engine or the 2PG HO engine will drop in. ??

If I wanted to drop another motor in what can I look for i one or what would someone recommend. I have welding skills and can make brackets for it just need some suggestions.

Bob-0 03-16-2008 04:09 PM

You'll have to search around and find those engines.

The 1PG engines are real old, and their performance was ok but used a points/condenser system.

The 2PG HO engines were only produced in 1988, and they are next to impossible to find.... Their popularity today is about on par with a 454 big block, but back in the day they were just cool engines.

I think one of the best engines to use is a 35hp vanguard/briggs engine. The rev kits and other mods available for them can help produce upwards of 60hp out of that little engine.... They are more expensive than a Honda, and the Honda engines have some nice mods for them also. Brand loyalty/recognition, fabrication skills, and time are big factors.

The Briggs or Honda V-Twins will cause you to loose reverse, due to those engines being 4 cycle. You will have to align and level the engine to the rear driven clutch (too much of an angle can flip the belt). It would take a lot of work, but the ability to dig holes is what counts :thumbup:

remlle 03-16-2008 06:02 PM

who makes a 2pg engine? any place I Could start to look for one?
so IF I get a briggs it would be alot of work to drop in?

Bob-0 03-16-2008 08:52 PM

Yes, it would be a lot of work to drop in a briggs or honda engine. It really is a lot of work to put any other engine in.

The 2PG engine was the engine model designator for E-Z-GO. The engine was a Robin built, E-Z-GO designed 244cc engine based on the type of engine used in the Polaris Snowmobile of the day. The best place to try and find an 88 HO engine would be E-Z-GO dealers and the local Paper. Try to locate an '88 for sale.

Bob

mikesmotortoys 03-16-2008 09:42 PM

Does this model have the drive clutch facing the rear of the engine?

remlle 03-16-2008 10:20 PM

what is the drive clutch?
I thnk so. theres a belt back there. give me an idea of what a drive clutch is and I can let you know.

ruredy 03-16-2008 10:49 PM

The drive clutch is the big belt clutch on the engine, the driven is the one on the rear.
You need to forget about sticking a briggs in there unless you can live without reverse. Also with the way the rear is done you'll be hard pressed to find room. A newer 4 stroke rear would have a reverse and have the clutch aligned right for a big engine. If it were me I'd get it going and sell it putting that money towards a newer 4 stroke cart.

Bob-0 03-17-2008 05:08 PM

The GX-444 has the drive clutch parallel to the rear axle.

Jon, your absolutely right... it is and will be a pain. BUT, the option is there :thumbup: .

I think the 4 cycle is the way to go.... but at other places people like to jump my case and act like I'm 4 cycle prejudice :evil: .

I honestly don't feel that the 2 cycle cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them. There isn't a market for antique golf cars, so you know they will only depreciate with time. So, if you buy a car for $500 and put in $500 in parts or mods, then your $600 in the hole the next year.

Where I'm at, we have a huge mix of both kinds. Most with 2 Cycle cars bought them new when they retired in the 80's... they're at the point where they don't want to buy new because their too old.... but when they used the car a lot for the first 10 years they didn't need to trade for brand new... theirs worked just fine. Now they use them to get the mail, take the trash out, walk the dog.... remain independent. But those that buy the 2 cycles as the second owner soon find that 5-10 years of minimal delayed the big problems from surfacing (worn rings, blown cylinder base gaskets ect...).

I think the 2 Cycle cars are great cars... I just don't think they are a good choice for someone looking for a toy and dump it when the fun is over (not worth the money lost).

Bob