Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1993 DS electric just clicks but doesn't move (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=158992)

crescue 11-19-2019 09:29 AM

1993 DS electric just clicks but doesn't move

I have an A9344 358439 club car that I just recently bought, and it was working fine when we used around 10 times, but it suddenly just stopped working after a ride, and it just clicks when you press the pedal in forward.
The batteries are NEW. I have NO experience working on golf carts, but I have the tools and other experience to try to troubleshoot the problem. By the posts I have read points to the solenoid. Is there any way to test solenoid ?
Please help !

movin-on 11-19-2019 01:29 PM

Re: 1993 DS electric just clicks but doesn't move

Assuming that it is a 36v cart with vglide, Put your multimeter on the 2 small terminals of the solenoid...With the key on in forward and go pedal pressed you should see battery pack voltage...If you do and solenoid doesn't click replace it...If you don't have pack voltage at the terminals your problem is elsewhere (key switch, microswitch)...Follow this thread for a color wiring diagram for your cart ( thanks to CTD)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...on-switch.html

Mooncarter 11-19-2019 04:31 PM

First thing to do is check pack voltage (total of all batteries).

Is this a resistor or controller cart?

crescue 12-04-2019 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced the solenoid, and it worked for like 2 minutes and it stopped. It began running fine but slowed down after 20 seconds and then it began moving very slow like batteries discharged. I recharged the batteries and replaced some wiring, and NOW it doesn't move at all. I think I miswired something, and I was trying to look for some batteries diagram, but I only have 5 batteries instead of 6 !!!
I am posting pic of how it is connected right now
Tnx for any help or advise

HaulnA$$ 12-04-2019 12:57 PM

Looks like you have 5 8V batteries for a 40V pack instead of 6 6V batteries for 36V pack. This poses a big problem. If you are using the original charger, you will never fully charge the pack and over time will destroy the batteries by running them low. If by some chance you are using a 48V Charger then you would quickly cook the batteries and kill them. Replace the batteries and solenoid and check wiring and all should be good. HTH.

Budule 12-04-2019 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Best bet is to pull it all out and start from scratch …..
need to look inside the vglide also ….

Mooncarter 12-04-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crescue (Post 1673422)
I replaced the solenoid, and it worked for like 2 minutes and it stopped. It began running fine but slowed down after 20 seconds and then it began moving very slow like batteries discharged. I recharged the batteries and replaced some wiring, and NOW it doesn't move at all. I think I miswired something, and I was trying to look for some batteries diagram, but I only have 5 batteries instead of 6 !!!
I am posting pic of how it is connected right now
Tnx for any help or advise

I can't think of any way this will work long-term, short of having a 40 volt charger custom built. You could add another 8 volt and use a 48 volt charger then unhook one battery every time you use it and rotate which one, but this is neither practical or optimal.

Even if you could find a 40 volt charger it would probably cost more than the correct batteries.

crescue 12-05-2019 07:58 PM

Tnx for all your advise. I am trying to get a hold of the guy that just sold me the golf cart to exchange the batteries :-) I just replaced the solenoid again just to see if it was a bad solenoid, and now it doesn't even move, just clicks. THe solenoid is getting way to hot, and I just read an article that solenoids for electric cars ARE DIFFERENT. They have to be heavy duty, and the one I just got was from Auto Zone. It looks exactly the same, just a little bit shorter. is it true ? Would that be why the cart doesn't even start ?

Tnx

Mooncarter 12-05-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crescue (Post 1673732)
Tnx for all your advise. I am trying to get a hold of the guy that just sold me the golf cart to exchange the batteries :-) I just replaced the solenoid again just to see if it was a bad solenoid, and now it doesn't even move, just clicks. THe solenoid is getting way to hot, and I just read an article that solenoids for electric cars ARE DIFFERENT. They have to be heavy duty, and the one I just got was from Auto Zone. It looks exactly the same, just a little bit shorter. is it true ? Would that be why the cart doesn't even start ?

Tnx

They are not just heavy duty, they are constant duty. They are made to match the voltage of the cart. You have installed a 12 volt automotive solenoid. No it will not work.

Did you buy this cart from a dealer?

crescue 12-05-2019 09:57 PM

Nope I got it from craiglist :-(