Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   To solder or not to solder..? new 4 AWG cables (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33012)

kdeerman 05-14-2010 09:05 PM

To solder or not to solder..? new 4 AWG cables

I am installing new 4 AWG welding cable on my series TXT this weekend (making the cables myself). I work with high current DC voltage regularly (although not on golf carts), and always solder my crimped connections. If anyone knows a reason to crimp only and not solder, please let me know (:mrgreen:before in the morning:mrgreen:).

LostHusker 05-14-2010 09:08 PM

Re: To solder or not to solder..? new 4 AWG cables

If you have the tools, solder, crimp, shrink tube. IMO

rib33024 05-14-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdeerman (Post 405629)
I am installing new 4 AWG welding cable on my series TXT this weekend (making the cables myself). I work with high current DC voltage regularly (although not on golf carts), and always solder my crimped connections. If anyone knows a reason to crimp only and not solder, please let me know (:mrgreen:before in the morning:mrgreen:).

Thats the best way to do it always solder crimped connections, if you know how to solder,some dont and they get a cold solder joint thats no good, sounds like you know what your doing

Take a video and show people how to do it if you can, alot of people would like to know---:thumbup:

kdeerman 05-14-2010 09:19 PM

OK, Thanks guys!

scottyb 05-14-2010 11:05 PM

SOLDER. Solder. solder :mrgreen: Did I say solder? You are asking if a solid joint is better than a crimp? Solder, solder, ....... :mrgreen: Honestly, we only crimp to save time :thumbdown:

kdeerman 05-15-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 405682)
SOLDER. Solder. solder :mrgreen: Did I say solder? You are asking if a solid joint is better than a crimp? Solder, solder, ....... :mrgreen: Honestly, we only crimp to save time :thumbdown:

OK, I have a crimper and a HUGE soldering iron - gonna try it out in a little while.

scottyb 05-15-2010 07:56 AM

Stop! Use a torch.... and silver solder...... search the threads that show how to do this. This is more like plumbing soldering than wire soldering in my experience 8)

kdeerman 05-15-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 405749)
Stop! Use a torch.... and silver solder...... search the threads that show how to do this. This is more like plumbing soldering than wire soldering in my experience 8)

Scotty,
I have a good grade of solder, that has the flux already in it, and an iron big enough to heat the terminals and cables for a good flow. We use this at work to build flight-worthy cables, with some wires as big as 8AWG, but never soldered welding cable. Still think I need a torch?

I'll check the threads, Thanks!

scottyb 05-15-2010 08:28 AM

I am not familiar with your connections but I do know there is considerable difference between 8g and 4g :mrgreen: Maybe you can get it hot enough? I dunno? Most use solid high silver content solder and a tinner's paste, but that is not to say your method won't work....

kdeerman 05-15-2010 08:34 AM

OK, Scotty, this solder does have a high silver content, but you're right, I may not be able to get it hot enough. Thanks for your input, I'll try it and let you know how it works out.:lol: