Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G22 Runs then bogs, sit for a minute, it will run again (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=156355)

keith_burns 08-19-2019 01:37 PM

G22 Runs then bogs, sit for a minute, it will run again

On my 2005 yamaha g22 cart I put new 1/4" fuel lines on it and a new pump and filter. It ran great for awhile, but then it started acting funky. It will drive just fine for awhile, then it will bog down and cut out and won't go anywhere. If I sit and wait a few minutes and wait and then push the pedal again it will go just fine and may bog down immediately or it will drive just fine for a bit. Not sure what is going on. I have tried pulling the pulse line off while pushing the gas when it wont go and i get a good pulse but when I hook it back up to the fuel pump I won't see any fuel going through my fuel filter. Maybe a bad/defective fuel pump already?

keith_burns 08-19-2019 01:43 PM

Re: G22 Runs then bogs, sit for a minute, it will run again

Note: I have also taken the fuel line off that goes to the carb when this happens and I will get fuel to flow through the fuel pump which lead me to think sticking float. So I took carb off and cleaned it all and float was working properly I believe but it may not be set right or may be worn out? Maybe a new carb?

CP241 08-19-2019 02:01 PM

When it happens is your fuel filter full or empty?

My cart was recently doing the same thing, there was some debris keeping the float needle from completely seating, and may have also been blocking fuel flow. Try cleaning the carb, and take a q-tip, dip it in some gasoline and put it in a drill chuck. Stick that down into the seat and polish it with the q-tip in a drill lightly to make sure all the gunk and dirt and everything are out. Then spray it with carb cleaner and blow it out really well with compressed air. Wouldn't hurt to clean the needle as well.

Hook a clean hose up to the fuel inlet on the carb before you put the bowl back on and blow into it. Make sure the needle moves freely and when you press the float up with your finger, the needle is fully seated and the fuel inlet is completely sealed off.

also, did you get an OEM or an aftermarket fuel pump? The cheap aftermarket fuel pumps don't tend to last very long. You can get a genuine Mikuni fuel pump on amazon for around $20-25. I wouldn't use any fuel pump that's not a Mikuni.

keith_burns 08-19-2019 02:31 PM

when it happens my fuel filter is empty. I got the mikuni one from amazon as well. I will take the carb back apart and see what is going on and try the q tip trick! I'll post what I find!

keith_burns 08-19-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1646006)
When it happens is your fuel filter full or empty?

My cart was recently doing the same thing, there was some debris keeping the float needle from completely seating, and may have also been blocking fuel flow. Try cleaning the carb, and take a q-tip, dip it in some gasoline and put it in a drill chuck. Stick that down into the seat and polish it with the q-tip in a drill lightly to make sure all the gunk and dirt and everything are out. Then spray it with carb cleaner and blow it out really well with compressed air. Wouldn't hurt to clean the needle as well.

Hook a clean hose up to the fuel inlet on the carb before you put the bowl back on and blow into it. Make sure the needle moves freely and when you press the float up with your finger, the needle is fully seated and the fuel inlet is completely sealed off.

also, did you get an OEM or an aftermarket fuel pump? The cheap aftermarket fuel pumps don't tend to last very long. You can get a genuine Mikuni fuel pump on amazon for around $20-25. I wouldn't use any fuel pump that's not a Mikuni.

when it happens my fuel filter is empty. I got the mikuni one from amazon as well. I will take the carb back apart and see what is going on and try the q tip trick! I'll post what I find!

Dave in VA 08-19-2019 03:14 PM

Are you sure that it's not losing spark? Hook up an in-line spark tester to make sure.

CP241 08-19-2019 04:42 PM

My club car was doing the exact same thing. New pump, kines, filter, cleaned the carb, etc. I found a piece of plastic from how the seat was molded that was not allowing the needle to seat, fixed that and it's been perfect ever since. A little piece of sand or dirt could do the same thing.

You also may want to check and make sure your tank is venting properly. If it cant vent it's like holding your thumb over the top of a straw... that will cause what you're experiencing as well.

Or if the needle is sticking closed for some reason it wont allow fuel in, so its gonna stop pumping.

cgtech 08-21-2019 12:20 PM

I'm going with TCI (coil), what you described is exactly how they fail.