Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Precedent Predictament (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=93386)

timberframe 05-03-2014 01:10 PM

Precedent Predictament

My (4) 12volt trojan batteries on my 2007 precedent are getting very weak. I am getting only 5 minutes tops of run time. The problem is we only have about 250.00 to put toward batteries. My choices are to:
(1) replace with four used batteries at a cost of 300.00 with no warranty
(2) replace with four new deep cycle marine batteries at 300.00
(3) replace 2 of the four with similar trojan golfcart batteries at 400.00
Any recommendations?

crash test dummy 05-03-2014 03:17 PM

Re: Precedent Predictament

(4) none of the above

1 is a temp fix and with no guarantee (only if you can not get new)

2 & 3 are a waste of money

batteries are a long term investment , save to get new batteries, you do not have to have Trojans

Budule 05-03-2014 04:02 PM

:iagree:

used with no warranty (take a load tester ) if test good , maybe $150......but if you plan on staying in this , save and get new like CTD said.....

jjance 05-03-2014 04:05 PM

I don't know what you use your cart for but with gas getting as expensive as it is. You may save a couple hundred dollars using your electric cart for errands instead of buying that expensive gasoline.

timberframe 05-07-2014 08:43 AM

What are the differences between 12 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and 12 volt deep cycle Marine/RV batteries?

93yellowclubcar 05-07-2014 09:45 AM

I believe heavier lead plates (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). The 12 volt golf cart batteries will last much longer between charges and in overall battery life, as 12 volt marine batteries aren't made to withstand the rigorous discharge and recharge cycles a cart puts batteries through. 6 8 volt cart batteries will last even longer, lots of guys convert to that setup, and even Club Car did after a couple years of problems with lifespan on the 4 12 volt carts.

SaltLifeCC 05-07-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timberframe (Post 1024452)
What are the differences between 12 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and 12 volt deep cycle Marine/RV batteries?

Golf cart batteries are made to withstand continual deeper discharges and be able to recover than marine batteries are, as I understand it. The main thing to understand is that there is a difference and if marine batteries were sufficient, they wouldn't make golf cart batteries.

Your original question is sort of like asking "I need to go somewhere 500 miles away but only have gas to go 250 miles, how can I make it the whole way without walking or hitching a ride?". Reminds of me of the saying "You gotta pay to play". As for your option 3 - using the analogy here, that would be like trying to add water to the gas to make it last longer. I'd only buy used batteries if I knew they were still good and knew where they came from and why the person was getting rid of supposedly good batteries.

caokgafamily 05-07-2014 01:24 PM

Timberframe,

No disrespect but you got to come up with the extra cash or just sell your cart.. 2nd job?

Steve

greg-g 05-07-2014 01:54 PM

These posts are upsetting there is no info just guessing. Year of cart means nothing what is the date stamp on the batteries, load test your batteries don't guess, you may have one bad cell, one used battery may work great. just maybe there's something wrong with your cart also. maybe your brakes arn't releasing what does it do just stop have you felt any cables solenoid controller motor for heat.

jakesnake27 05-07-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timberframe (Post 1022768)
My (4) 12volt trojan batteries on my 2007 precedent are getting very weak. I am getting only 5 minutes tops of run time. The problem is we only have about 250.00 to put toward batteries. My choices are to:
(1) replace with four used batteries at a cost of 300.00 with no warranty
(2) replace with four new deep cycle marine batteries at 300.00
(3) replace 2 of the four with similar trojan golfcart batteries at 400.00
Any recommendations?

You will actually waste more money in the long run by doing any of these three things.
The best and most cost effective thing to do is buy 4 new golf cart batteries- and like crash said, they don't have to be the most expensive ones, maintenance is everything with batteries.
This is just part of owning an electric cart...:thumbup: