Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   motor swap (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86310)

bradical 10-03-2013 01:23 AM

motor swap

will a regan motor work on a series cart?

jakesnake27 10-03-2013 09:09 AM

Re: motor swap

I am thinking that a regen is a type of sepex motor, but not certain :?

joesam 10-03-2013 10:09 AM

Don't know what age of series cart you have but regardless, if you wanted Regen braking, then no. Not without changing the controller, wiring harness and F/R switch possibly installing an MCor etc. The regen motor has a plug/pigtail of smaller wires which connect back to the controller and manage the feedback between the motor and controller to determine max speed/rpm, accel pedal position etc. It would be a "wholesale" conversion.

Now if your asking would it just spin like any motor and power your cart when 48v is supplied to it from your existing series setup - I'm not smart enough to know, but my suspicion is "not very well, if at all" due to the field windings being quite different between Sepex and Series. Hopefully a smarter person on this forum can expand upon that opinion.

CartTrader 10-03-2013 12:55 PM

NO! It won't work!

CartTrader

jakesnake27 10-03-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartTrader (Post 939024)
NO! It won't work!

CartTrader

So a regen is a sepex, right?

CartTrader 10-03-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakesnake27 (Post 939036)
So a regen is a sepex, right?

Yes and no. A Regen uses a Sepex motor. Regen is a system, Sepex is a motor. Regen and IQ systems both use Sepex motors.

CartTrader

jakesnake27 10-03-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartTrader (Post 939068)
Yes and no. A Regen uses a Sepex motor. Regen is a system, Sepex is a motor. Regen and IQ systems both use Sepex motors.

CartTrader

Ok, that's what I thought, just making sure

TahoeDawgZ71 10-03-2013 09:12 PM

"Regen" is short for "Regenerative Braking"

Regenerative braking is possible only with a SepEx (Separately Excited) motor, so yes, Regen cars are SepEx

jakesnake27 10-03-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 939219)
SepEx (Separately Excited)

Why can't they be excited together??? :lol:

Sergio 10-04-2013 08:19 AM

There are controllers in the Market that can do regen with Series motors, like the Kelly controller KDZ48401 for example. The cool thing is that they use a 0-5v type input for the brake regen so you can control it from coast to a full regen brake. I have no experience and have never used them, just FYI that it is not a limitation of the series motor itself, at least for low voltage, just the controller.