Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   No brakes after new pad install (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=165920)

hollywood23113 06-29-2020 11:10 PM

No brakes after new pad install

So I have looked around on google, I have searched this page but didn’t find anything that is addressing my situation. The brakes on my 2000 TXT I’ve gotten weaker and weaker overtime, I was at a campground this weekend with bigger hills and it became an issue so I decided to install new shoes and springs. The shoes were still technically within spec but they were very close, watched a video on how to install them as I have never done rear shoes. So after the install, I don’t know if the guy doing the video missed something but my brakes are worse now than they were, I can set the parking break in the cart will slowly come to a stop. Kind of worried a little bit because I am going back to the same place in three days and I need the brakes to work. Thanks guys

basshawk84 06-30-2020 06:24 AM

Re: No brakes after new pad install

Make sure you adjust the turnbuckle under the driver side floor.

Doubles Shooter 06-30-2020 06:34 AM

The brakes should be self adjusting. Back up at speed and spike the brakes . Do this a couple times it should help.

hollywood23113 06-30-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basshawk84 (Post 1735670)
Make sure you adjust the turnbuckle under the driver side floor.

Why would I have to adjust those, if I had “some” brakes before it should be even better now with thicker shoes?

hollywood23113 06-30-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter (Post 1735671)
The brakes should be self adjusting. Back up at speed and spike the brakes . Do this a couple times it should help.

Yes I tried that numerous times before I posted here, still no brakes

jhnmflr 06-30-2020 10:01 AM

Maybe post a picture of the way they are installed on both sides? maybe something is not right.

JohnnieB 06-30-2020 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood23113 (Post 1735754)
Yes I tried that numerous times before I posted here, still no brakes

The hydraulic drum brakes on cars self adjusted in reverse, the mechanical drum brakes on EZGO golf carts self adjust when cart is moving forward and brake pedal is released before cart stops.

In other words take cart up to cursing speed on pavement, apply brakes strongly and release pedal just before cart stops rolling. Repeat until rear tires can be made to slide, or no further improvement is braking is felt after multiple tries.

Cut & pastes from service manual attached.

Sir Nuke 06-30-2020 10:24 AM

something a LOT of people who have never done a brake job before forget, or are not instructed to so, and that is to take EVERYTHING apart, clean it, and lube it, such as the adjusting "stars". they are 2 pieces and if they get "sticky" because they are old and have no lude in them, just because they have never been taken apart.....the fact that they are not auto adjusting, that could be your problem right there.

hollywood23113 06-30-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 1735767)
The hydraulic drum brakes on cars self adjusted in reverse, the mechanical drum brakes on EZGO golf carts self adjust when cart is moving forward and brake pedal is released before cart stops.

In other words take cart up to cursing speed on pavement, apply brakes strongly and release pedal just before cart stops rolling. Repeat until rear tires can be made to slide, or no further improvement is braking is felt after multiple tries.

Cut & pastes from service manual attached.

Thanks I will try this tonight. I ws doing it in reverse is what I read somewhere, but now I know the correct way

hollywood23113 06-30-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 1735768)
something a LOT of people who have never done a brake job before forget, or are not instructed to so, and that is to take EVERYTHING apart, clean it, and lube it, such as the adjusting "stars". they are 2 pieces and if they get "sticky" because they are old and have no lude in them, just because they have never been taken apart.....the fact that they are not auto adjusting, that could be your problem right there.

Ive done numeroius brakes and mechancal jobs, just never rear shoes. I did clean everything good with brake clean, lube up the 6 contact points the shoes have on the backing plate, both ends of the self ad. slider, and the slider itself, scuffed the inside of the drum with sandpaper and cleaned