Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   pulsar coil question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=46188)

zlangdon 03-31-2011 02:19 AM

pulsar coil question

Just wondering what exactly a pulsar coil does. I have a 1992 2 cycle marathon and it starts up runs for awhile and then go to move to my next shot and the starter barely turns over but yet the battery still has full charge? Would this be a bad pulsar coil, voltage regulator, or bad starter/generator? I have been battling this problem for about 3 yrs now and I'm ready to get rid of it. The only reason I don't want to get rid of it is because its in mint condition! Any help is appreciated! I'm DESPERATE!

victorjohn 03-31-2011 02:59 AM

Re: pulsar coil question

Check your ground. The starter gen should be properly grounded. The opposing solenoid terminal should be grounded very well. It could also be worn out brushes, i.e. hardly making contact on the armature. If your battery is not charging, then you have a bad VR but that does not seem to be the issue here.

zlangdon 04-11-2011 02:17 AM

Thanks alot, i bought a new vr and am going to see if that fixes it. if i were to put it on blocks and run the cart with a volt meter on the batttery would the voltage remain constant if its charging or jump all around?

zlangdon 04-11-2011 02:47 AM

Another question I have is could it be the solenoid? When the problem started the first thing I changed was the solenoid but I used a car solenoid. Could this cause a problem if I didn't use a golf cart solenoid?

mannyvillegas 04-11-2011 04:06 AM

Car solenoids won't work.

zlangdon 04-11-2011 02:01 PM

Thanks I'm gunna order a golf cart solenoid, any ideas where I can find one cheap?

zlangdon 05-10-2011 01:53 PM

Well guys, I put in a golf cart solenoid and the same thing is happening. I used it for 4 holes today and all of the sudden dead? Any other ideas? Im bringing my starter/generator in to be rebuilt. Im beginning to think there is no hope and pretty soon im gunna have to bring it to the junk yard!!!

Dave Box 05-10-2011 04:30 PM

If this is the same cart as in your other thread "White wire coming out of engine" then it is not a 2 cycle engine. It is a 4 stroke Robin probably 295cc. I only mention this as you may well get some incorrect advise from folks who think you have a 3PG engine.
Dave

zlangdon 05-10-2011 06:01 PM

yes it is a 4 cycle but would that make a difference for this type of problem?

Dave Box 05-10-2011 06:29 PM

Yes, the voltage regulators are different and in different locations. In any case it is best just to have one thread per problem so that folks who are contributing to your solution can see all the previous advise.
Dave