Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   High speed gear ratio recommendation (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157859)

William Thompson IV 10-09-2019 01:22 AM

High speed gear ratio recommendation

Any recommendation of 8:1 vs 6:1 high speed gears?
48v d&d motor 10.2hp 5350 rpm 40% more torque than stock
Alltrax 500amp controller
22” tires
Math shows potential speeds
6:1-53mph
8:1-44mph
No sure if the cart will actually do those numbers, I’m more worried about the getting there part. Is 6:1 going to be way too slow

slonomo 10-09-2019 07:32 AM

Re: High speed gear ratio recommendation

I think you need to post this in the electric section?

StoveBolt 10-09-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Thompson IV (Post 1659697)
6:1-53mph
8:1-44mph

Is 6:1 going to be way too slow

Wow.. how fast you want to go?

NCPW 10-09-2019 09:01 AM

What kind of cart/transaxle is this going in? Depending on the type of cart/transaxle, you may not be able to find 6:1 gears, plus depending on your terrain, you may not like the taller gears.

If you don't have many inclines/hills/rough terrain to traverse, the 8:1 gears may be what you're looking for. Good speed increase (but I don't think you'll get 44mph out of it) with probably closer to stock torque with your larger tires (just a guess).

CP241 10-14-2019 10:04 AM

I'd go with the 8:1 if you must upgrade or you may run into issues with hills. 6:1 is a lot of gear...

Though you won't ever catch me doing anywhere NEAR 45-55mph in a golf cart designed to do 12-14mph. That's just asking for trouble IMO especially in a lifted cart.

sho305 10-15-2019 01:38 PM

I can say with a 22 tire cart when you get to 35mph you better have a tight front end and have the toe set just right. I ran mine over and over and kept adjusting and hit 38mph gps it was finally straight and smooth. I put a cam and rod in the engine and ran 42gps and it started to weave around. I never run it that fast in my use, just saying only a few mph made it different. Also your electric needs to be up to snuff, that will put more load on the motor/controller. I don't know much about them but just big tires on some stock electrics is a bad idea. Just make sure your equipment is up to it.

CP241 10-15-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho305 (Post 1661289)
I can say with a 22 tire cart when you get to 35mph you better have a tight front end and have the toe set just right. I ran mine over and over and kept adjusting and hit 38mph gps it was finally straight and smooth. I put a cam and rod in the engine and ran 42gps and it started to weave around. I never run it that fast in my use, just saying only a few mph made it different. Also your electric needs to be up to snuff, that will put more load on the motor/controller. I don't know much about them but just big tires on some stock electrics is a bad idea. Just make sure your equipment is up to it.

The controller, motor combo are fine as long as he as upgraded wires and solenoid (And after spending that cash on the motor and controller, i'm sure he does).

It's the overall speed that gets me. I can see how in a gas cart it's nice to have the ability to go that fast, because then cruising ~20mph the motor is happy just idling along and it'll last a ton longer. But I don't know if that's the same in an electric or not, most electric motors prefer to be run wide open and it's actually harder on them to go half speed.

sho305 10-16-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1661348)
The controller, motor combo are fine as long as he as upgraded wires and solenoid (And after spending that cash on the motor and controller, i'm sure he does).

It's the overall speed that gets me. I can see how in a gas cart it's nice to have the ability to go that fast, because then cruising ~20mph the motor is happy just idling along and it'll last a ton longer. But I don't know if that's the same in an electric or not, most electric motors prefer to be run wide open and it's actually harder on them to go half speed.

It should not matter as much if it is a PWM controller, but I don't know much about GC controllers. I ride trails for hours at times so gas is much better for me. Unless you mean the motors cool better at higher rpm?

That is true with gas stock gears and 22s I can run about 25 before its full shift and rpm goes up, after 30 it screams to where ever your motor will run to. With mods on mine it goes over 5K easily, but its not something you want to do for long. In my case stock gears are powerful on the trail at lower speeds and I can wind it up for short distance to next trail or corner/etc. Mostly we run 20-25 depending on trail surface. Running roads I would want more gear, but if I do its not a paved road so we rarely go over 30 anyway, its not a race.

There is no doubt when you pass about 30mph things change and you are moving, you can get hurt. You often need good smooth paved conditions and tight cart to run over 35 with confidence. I ran 42 on pavement other day and it seemed very fast to me, but I have no roof/windshield either and steering started to get touchy its only good for 38mph lol. I am sure it would go faster with HS gears but I don't run paved roads anyway and don't really want to go that fast. I feel a lot safer in a utv that runs 60mph rock solid with a cage and belts.

But some people live where they can run paved roads, and then you want to set them up to cruise at least 30. It is a different use than I have.